Soccer World Cup 2018

10 watchers
May 2018
9:59pm, 15 May 2018
1,168 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Soccer is football, but so are the other footballs.
May 2018
10:13pm, 15 May 2018
8,939 posts
  •  
lammo
OK enough pedantry.

So, no Jack Wilshire or Joe Hart, no great loss as far as I can see.
May 2018
10:49am, 16 May 2018
667 posts
  •  
Oscar the grouch
What would be a mark of progress - round of 16, Q/F?

Agree that art and Wilshere have not done enough but there is a lack of compelling evidence all round. However, the age group teams *suggest* that the future *may* be brighter... mostly because they have all grown up playing a technical game imho. But then, no-one even attempted a Cruyff turn in my formative years...
May 2018
11:47am, 16 May 2018
8,942 posts
  •  
lammo
If i attempted a Cruyff turn when i was playing, somebody would have battered me :-)
May 2018
12:06pm, 16 May 2018
16,821 posts
  •  
TRO Toddslayer
No one attempted a Cruyff turn but after Ossie Ardiles arrived we ALL attempted that run over the ball and flick it up with your heel from behind trick. If you got this even slightly wrong you'd trip over the ball....
May 2018
12:19pm, 16 May 2018
18,541 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
The age group teams mean fuck all. You will hardly see any of them at the highest level again. Been there before.

I used to trip over the ball just trying to trap it in the first place.
May 2018
12:20pm, 16 May 2018
13,063 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I saw a bunch of bearded Saudi Arabians win the u16 world cup a long time ago.
May 2018
1:54pm, 16 May 2018
668 posts
  •  
Oscar the grouch
WS hence my use of terms suggest as suggest and may... I'm not completely delusional.

I was never good enough to do any tricks except accidentally. I actually heard one of the coaches of my lads' team of u16 suggest that a player 'watch his (opposition's) feet' when defending. I knew then why they were bottom of the league. Watch the BALL ffs.

Baz - I suspect they may not have in fact been u16...
May 2018
2:08pm, 16 May 2018
16,824 posts
  •  
TRO Toddslayer
Age Groups here in England mean fuck all.

There were dominant age group teams from Spain, France, Germany amongst others that went on to form the basis of successful senior sides.

We have always 'lost' the age groups - somewhere about when they really need to push on they get lost, too much money/adulation too soon, poor lifestyle plus not getting first team football opportunities and stagnating.

Quite a few of our current crop, those with their heads screwed on at least, seem to be heading abroad, Germany etc, to try and bridge this gap.
May 2018
2:20pm, 16 May 2018
32 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Glad to see Alexander-Arnold included in the squad, will be annoyed if Southgate doesn't use him the same way Klopp does, he's been excellent for Liverpool in Europe this year

About This Thread

Maintained by lammo
So, less than a month to go, who's excited?

I am :-)

Not sure England are going to do ver...