So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

80 watchers
SPR
Feb 2022
6:58am, 18 Feb 2022
36,301 posts
  •  
SPR
BBC article on the same thing which talks about the coach as well (lots of success but athletes generally retire pretty early):

bbc.co.uk
Feb 2022
10:07am, 18 Feb 2022
16,685 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Indeed. And that is why everyone saying the age of the athelete doesn't matter is wrong in my opinion. It does matter if they are still a child and the process *does* need to be slightly different.
Feb 2022
10:26am, 18 Feb 2022
17,099 posts
  •  
larkim
I hadn't quite appreciated her history as part of a "production line" of talent from the same coach, and that definitely makes a difference to me in terms of her exposure. Cultural differences aside, her coach's public displays yesterday give an impression which is definitely not one which shows the athlete as being in control in any way at all.

There is a fine line between being a robust coach of a child athlete that challenges and toughens up a talented youngster into being a capable adult athlete vs an abusive coach that takes advantage of the vulnerability of a child to make them perform. Parents also carry responsibility too.
Feb 2022
1:42pm, 18 Feb 2022
599 posts
  •  
paulcook
Not watched it, but this about how cold Kamila's entourage was to her is pretty sad. espn.com

All coaching, all coaches and all sportsmen are different and have different approaches, but in my opinion, this approach here is akin to the manager of a production line of robots and no coaching/mentoring whatsoever.
Feb 2022
7:53am, 21 Feb 2022
914 posts
  •  
The Mussile
"Doping probably wouldn't give you enough jumping ability either." By that I mean if you've only got a 10 inch vertical, you're going to have to go some to get the 40 inch plus likely needed for high jump.

For sure, no amount of doping is going to make most of us even get near olympic champions. But if you are an elite level high jumper the ability to train more often and harder can possibly make that difference
SPR
Feb 2022
9:06am, 21 Feb 2022
36,308 posts
  •  
SPR
...and that's basically what I've said on this thread. You've taken the post I've written out of the context it was written.
Jul 2022
4:12pm, 7 Jul 2022
19,349 posts
  •  
Chrisull
larks - one for you!

So Bahrain Victorious were raided just before this year's tour de france, but there is a theory, it seems the police might be wrong and they have been acting on a hoax tip off!

cyclingnews.com
Jul 2022
4:40pm, 7 Jul 2022
18,331 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, read that on BikeRadar a couple of days ago. Pretty hilarious if true, and goes (to a limited extent) to my view that you can't just say "well journo X hinted that they know something's up and they've got a source" with absolute certainty.

It was a hoaxer pretending to be a "Fancy Bears" hacker luring an investigative journalist in with stories of magnets in wheels, doping etc etc.

That said, even I would doubt that every doping hint or story that is out there is based on a hoax. But it shows how things can escalate.
Jul 2022
4:43pm, 7 Jul 2022
18,332 posts
  •  
larkim
Here's the hoaxer (language skills or google translate required!)

incyclingveritas.wordpress.com
Dec 2022
8:25pm, 12 Dec 2022
19,776 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Thought we were getting a bit cosy.

Fourth place in this years Vuelta, Miguel Angel Lopez a doping cheat.

Allegedly quit the Giro after an adverse reaction to human growth hormone. Hmm those drugs tests are working mightily well I'd say.

stickybottle.com

and apparently the Spanish one mentions the human growth hormone story.

abc.es

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.