BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

71 watchers
15 Jul
11:28am, 15 Jul 2021
18151 posts
Chrisull
Yep but his first comment was "bulls**t"... which kind of casts the rest in a different light.
SPR
15 Jul
11:32am, 15 Jul 2021
34825 posts
SPR
That can just be an expression of shock.

In any case, even if Bennett meant what you think, the rides and the circumstances of the rides aren't the same.
15 Jul
11:36am, 15 Jul 2021
18152 posts
Chrisull
It can be yes, but it wouldn't be my first interpretation :-).
SPR
15 Jul
11:39am, 15 Jul 2021
34826 posts
SPR
...and won't be for most of this thread, but that doesn't really matter though does it?

It's pretty simplistic to call the rides the same. It wasn't expected I agree, but neither was Yates cracking.
15 Jul
11:43am, 15 Jul 2021
18154 posts
Chrisull
I wasn't - I wasn't aware of Bennett's comments until reading Pothunter's link, and thought they demonstrated scepticism in the ride at least, in an amusing way.

They weren't the same circumstances, you're right, and also that day Dumoulin committed a big tactical faux pas I seem to recall, sitting up and waiting for Reichenbach. He claimed afterwards it hadn''t made a difference, but it felt like he had.

cyclingnews.com
15 Jul
2:47pm, 15 Jul 2021
15093 posts
larkim
LOL at my name being taken in vain ref Landis / Froome. Correlation / causation etc etc. Just because Landis was a doper and had a memorable ride off the front doesn't mean that Froome's ride off the front means he is a doper, and you all know that. We know Landis was a doper, we know Froome hasn't been sanctioned for being a doper. If future chapters are to be written about Froome, they aren't written just yet.
15 Jul
3:16pm, 15 Jul 2021
3170 posts
Cheg
Will there ever be a time in our lifetime where someone wins the Tour de France and we don’t question if he is juiced?

Also whilst I wrote that I noticed I said he. Is there doping in the female peloton or is there just not enough money to make it worthwhile?
15 Jul
3:23pm, 15 Jul 2021
18158 posts
Chrisull
Sastre was nicknamed Mr Clean? (possibly ironically, but did seem like he was clean)
15 Jul
3:32pm, 15 Jul 2021
51012 posts
Derby Tup
There are a few known clean riders. They just don’t win anything ;-)

My first thought is the winner of a bicycle race has to beat all the clean riders and all the drug cheats. Why do all the drug cheats start cheating? Because they can’t keep up when they don’t
15 Jul
3:44pm, 15 Jul 2021
15095 posts
larkim
I may have the decades wrong here, but isn't this sort of the history of Tour doping:-
Origin to 1960s - everyone was known to be doping to some degree, it was pretty much accepted as necessary / optional
1960s - everyone was known to be doping, and some were suspected of sophisticated doping, publicly doping in sport was starting to be policed

1970s - everyone pretended no-one was doping, but everyone knew everyone was still doping
1980s - everyone agreed doping was bad, but everyone knew riders were just getting cleverer at avoiding the pretty lax controls and most people knew / assumed doping was still prevalent
1990s - doping got medicalised and the peleton tried to pretend it wasn't happening, though everyone still assumed it was
2000s - big doping busts, everyone agreed doping should be banned but everyone knew the best teams were still doing it with a good degree of sophistication
2010s - everyone agreed doping was bad, anti-doping control got better and there a new dawn (false dawn?) of successful teams who either didn't dope, or were extraordinarily clever about hiding it

You can't separate competitve riding with doping for the last 100 years or so, so it's no great surprise that a peleton which claims to be clean is viewed with suspicion. That will last a long time yet.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.