So, trail shoes...

1 watcher
Nov 2013
1:41pm, 6 Nov 2013
7,314 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Thanks - good point re: trail versions of road shoes. I thik a trip to my local running shop to try a few pairs on is in order...
Nov 2013
3:38pm, 6 Nov 2013
288 posts
  •  
TeeBee
You've got me worried about the Portsmouth marathon now. I was going to use an old but trusted pair of road shoes and retire them after the race. Is it really that bad?? I'm sure my trail shoes aren't up to 26.2 miles, and, as I need a new pair of road shoes, I don't want to have to fork out for new trail shoes and well....
Nov 2013
8:57pm, 6 Nov 2013
89 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
I did it in Road shoes last year with no problem and will again this year, unless it snows !
Nov 2013
8:59pm, 6 Nov 2013
10,443 posts
  •  
paul a
Road shoes are fine, it is very trail lite.
Nov 2013
10:17pm, 6 Nov 2013
16,866 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I gave up on Inov8 Roclites (too stiff), Saucony something-or-others (too stiff), North Face Single Track (too stiff and too heavy), Asics thingummys (too stiff, too heavy, no grip).

I am very happy with Brooks Pure Grit (light, flexy, but no grip), Salomon Speedcross (Grippy, but a bit harder, good for longer off road-nearly-fell(ish) stuff) and Salomon Fellraiser (quite hard, mostly fell type shoe).
Mizuno Wave Harrier are very flexy, but a little hard. I have however managed a marathon in them on trails.

If you can take the lack of cushioning the New Balance MT10 is nice, but the slightly softer option is the MT 110 which I know people use for long distances. The MT 110 has the advantage of being available for slightly less than fuck all from those chav-sports warehouses like Sports Direct.
Nov 2013
1:06pm, 7 Nov 2013
7,315 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I did it in road shoes last year, but there were some very muddy, slippy areas - it's more for the ultra that I'm thinking of the trail shoes, but if I had some, and it had been as wet beforehand as last year, I would wear them for Portsmouth I think.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Winkle
I'm doing Portsmouth Marathon in December, and the Thames Trot 50 in February - both of which may w...