Snowdonia Marathon 2018

10 watchers
Nov 2018
10:46am, 1 Nov 2018
5,975 posts
  •  
larkim
Meant to ask this on Sunday, but does anyone know if some runners were permitted to start the race "early"? I passed a handful of runners with bibs on in the section just before Beddgelert and up to Rhyd Ddu who, with due respect, were neither of the build nor the overall demeanour to (I would have thought) been capable of getting there before me at the pace I was going at. There were plenty of runners who had run out of steam that I passed, but these were definitely not those sorts. Not that it matters, just curious really.
Nov 2018
11:16am, 1 Nov 2018
3,407 posts
  •  
jennyh
Larks - yes, they were. I didn't realise this until a club mate told me in the pub afterwards, and Mr J (who was watching) said that made sense as he saw some people who looked to be moving somewhat slower than the other folks around them.
Nov 2018
6:03pm, 1 Nov 2018
17,604 posts
  •  
KinkyS
Yes, there are early starts at 8am and 9am for those who request it. My Dad, a committed and experienced marathoner, but also a nearly 75 year old who has or is recovering from high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, COPD and a heart attack, started at 9 so he would make the cut off. It took me over 20 miles to catch him :-)
Nov 2018
7:08pm, 1 Nov 2018
1,030 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
That’s a really decent thing for the organisers to allow.
Nov 2018
8:35pm, 1 Nov 2018
5,977 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, great idea - you get the impression the trace is really rooted in the local community and yet really welcomes all comers.
Nov 2018
4:21pm, 7 Nov 2018
3,780 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
JB - I think I commented on your blog saying that it was a shame you didn't get on the TV carrying your brother. Well, I watched some of the highlights show with my Dad over the weekend and you are there.....right behind the presenter as the closing credits start to play.

Looks like you put your brother down just so that he had to take 1 or 2 teetering steps over the line, therefore ensuring you beat him on chip timing :-)
Nov 2018
4:25pm, 7 Nov 2018
6,004 posts
  •  
larkim
I managed to get on screen behind the presenter as she walked through the start area. It's probably a good thing there's no clip of me running given what the finish line video on youtube looks like...

I was also surprised how few "human interest" stories there were, given the local nature of the TV production. As an hour's summary of a 3 hour race (for the elite winners) I thought the sporting coverage was quite good considering the limited budget they'd have, but was expecting quite a few more local interest stories, especially after they sent out that questionnaire before the race.
Nov 2018
4:33pm, 7 Nov 2018
113 posts
  •  
John Bach
I was glad that the presenter was doing a wrap up piece when we came in as it meant the cameras weren't on us. I literally dropped him on the line as he was slipping and I was buggered! I was actually in the opening credits, but that was a clip from the 2007 race (I tried, & failed, to pick up a cup at the top of the Pass and had to go back!)

They used to do little clips, which they had filmed beforehand, on various Welsh speaking runners/clubs - they called me in advance of the 2008 race to ask if they could come & talk to me - unfortunately they spoke to my wife who said I would do it - she told our kids & I couldn't get out of it!!
Nov 2018
5:19pm, 7 Nov 2018
3,426 posts
  •  
jennyh
John Bach - I’ve only just caught up with last week’s Marathon Talk podcast, and noticed that you and your brother got a mention :-)
Nov 2018
8:20am, 8 Nov 2018
114 posts
  •  
John Bach
Yes, I heard it jennyh - they made a pigs ear of trying to pronounce my hometown, but at least they tried!? I started listening again to MT a few weeks ago having been a listener since episode 1

About This Thread

Maintained by Phill_Young
Any one else get a place on Friday when this went on sale?

Looking forward to this as my Autumn ...