•  
MadWelshWoman
Thanks WW, that is reassuring 😊
Sep 2017
3:04pm, 14 Sep 2017
66 posts
  •  
bakedbeano
Just got a late place after a cancellation. Now for the tricky bit... finding accomodation in north wales!
Sep 2017
3:24pm, 14 Sep 2017
796 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Just take the climbs at a pace you are comfortable with. You may surprise yourself by what you can achieve. You will definitely be run/walking the third and last climb out of Waunfawr. You may have to walk some of the way up the second climb out of Bedgellert but that will depend if you have descended from Pen Y Pass too quickly. I've run Snowdonia the last two years but having a break this year. Will probably be back next year.
Sep 2017
3:29pm, 14 Sep 2017
797 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Finding accomodation is difficult but keep trying as presumably people who have pulled out of the race do so in the last weeks. I've stayed in Caernarfon's Travelodge and Premier Inn the last two years respectively.
Sep 2017
3:53pm, 14 Sep 2017
67 posts
  •  
bakedbeano
Cheers SC Just found a B&B in caernafon. Just been reading other Treads on this race. Would you agree that road shoes are OK on this and that i should expect to add 20-30 mins to a flat road marathon time. Im usually around 3:30 I do a fair amount of hill running so was hoping to get in under 4hours
Sep 2017
4:21pm, 14 Sep 2017
22 posts
  •  
John Bach
MWW - the Llanberis Pass climb starts about 2 miles into the race and goes on for about 2-2.5miles - it's not particularly steep and the gradient is fairly consistent. The Beddgelert climb at about 1/2 way catches quite a lot of people out, although you always get a nice boost at the start of the climb from the crowd there - it's quite a long drag - you think you're at the top, but you turn the corner it carries on! It's a steady climb (about 2 miles), but it is quite open on that part of the course. The Waunfawr climb (starting at about mile 22) is a bit of a struggle - again there is usually a nice little crowd (& feed station) at the start. It goes on for about 2.5 miles and I'd say most walk/run it - I've seen people walk up there quicker than others trying to run!!
Sep 2017
6:29pm, 14 Sep 2017
798 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Road shoes are more than adequate BB. Just tread carefully down the grassy section on the descent in to Llanberis. Expect an extra 20 minutes extra on your flat time but maybe a little less if you regularly run hills.
Sep 2017
7:15am, 15 Sep 2017
121 posts
  •  
MadWelshWoman
Thanks JB, I will most definately be walking a lot on the hills. I am a slow runner at the best of times, fastest flat mara (VMLM) 4.39. I notice that there is a cut off point around 18 miles in 4 hours so hopefully will make that!
Sep 2017
9:10am, 15 Sep 2017
23 posts
  •  
John Bach
I wouldn't worry MWW, there will be plenty of runners around you.

I'd definitely say road shoes. In recent years the first part of the final descent has been pretty slippy given the rain and grass surface - I've seen many fallers on that part, even ones wearing fell shoes!

I'd say on average, Snowdonia is 15 minutes slower than a flat marathon (although my best Snowdonia time is still 15 minutes quicker than my best London time)
Sep 2017
12:47pm, 19 Sep 2017
68 posts
  •  
bakedbeano
Thanks for the posts, see you there MWW :-)

About This Thread

Sold out in 8hrs! Who else is in this race? I managed to enter after waiting 10 mins in a queue at a...