Snowdonia Eryri Marathon 2019

17 watchers
Oct 2019
12:06am, 29 Oct 2019
1,145 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Great coverage and made better with the drone footage. Weather didn't look that bad, at least during the race. Somehow I'd forgotten the couple hundred meters section of just grass on the descent in to Llanberis. I find the steep tarmac more demoralising but by then the race is nearly over. Love this race. May enter ballot for next year. Interesting how race coverage has changed since my first in 2009. And no one wore fancy dress then!
Oct 2019
6:59am, 29 Oct 2019
2,900 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I'm definitely going to enter the ballot for 2020 race. It will be my 'fun' run of the year. Don't give a **** about time, just soak up the wonderful scenery and magnificent support.
Oct 2019
7:29am, 29 Oct 2019
244 posts
  •  
John Bach
It will be interesting to see how the ballot pans out. It has been great as a local runner to see the race develop over the years - you used to be able to enter the race a week before. Watching the race/seeing the coverage got me back into this running lark in my mid 30’s. I’ll be targeting the race again next year after missing out this year
Oct 2019
7:36am, 29 Oct 2019
43,678 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wonder if it will be one of those ballots that favours local applicants. I do hope so.
Oct 2019
8:16am, 29 Oct 2019
245 posts
  •  
John Bach
Hi V'rap. I'm not sure about that, but I did read that runners who have participated more than 10 times are guaranteed an entry, so from a selfish view point I'm ok
Oct 2019
8:51am, 29 Oct 2019
9,301 posts
  •  
larkim
I messaged the organisers when I discovered a week out from the race that I wouldn't be making the start line (hoping secretly that they'd be able to pass my place on to someone else, despite the transfer deadline being 3 weeks past), and noted that I'd have to take my chance with the ballot. They replied that they expected lots of places to come up over the summer as normal.

The best way to operate a ballot is simply random for all participants I think, otherwise you get into debates about how your mechanism favours one group or other. Just leave to the luck of the draw. Though they will need safeguards to stop people like me with an unlimited supply of email addresses making multiple entries, in the same way that London does.
Oct 2019
1:11pm, 29 Oct 2019
20 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
John Bach,

Thanks, just spotted that - event page lists overall records for M/F for the race and for the current course. Have to break the race record (2:28:02 for the men!) to scoop 1000 euro bonus - would say that equates to 2:15ish normal marathon time?

Do we know when the course changed? I googled around a bit and couldn’t work it out. Saw the National Trust handed the race over to local community in 2007, so maybe then?
Oct 2019
1:15pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,902 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
V'Rap, I'm hoping it favours those who have never DNS or DNF the course ;)

Seriously though unless it changes next year with respect to transfers. It is one race that you can always get a place if you really want one.
Oct 2019
1:17pm, 29 Oct 2019
2,903 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Fuzzyduck79, definitely changed after 2008. As I've done the old course at least once.
Oct 2019
1:18pm, 29 Oct 2019
9,314 posts
  •  
larkim
I hope they allow for transfers closer to the date of the event. I can understand why they don't want deferrals to the next year (they effectively lose money that way, so the price overall would have to go up), but I'm sure I'd have found someone to be able to take my place with nearly a week's notice. 3-4 weeks out for the last transfers seems a little excessive, though of course it may well be far more complicated than I'm making it sound!!

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Anyone else get through the busy entry system? #2 for me :-)