Sniffin' Glue

7 watchers
Jan 2021
8:44am, 28 Jan 2021
37,324 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)

The Tamiya is the build I did in lockdown, just for fun. Not suitable for racing, compared to the other two beasts. But it was fun to build a model again. It's a remake with more modern components but of exactly the same one that I built when I was 15. I think at 51 I was able to do it a bit more carefully and with more patience and less mess!

The paint job is custom, I wanted to do something white and red. The polycarbonate bodies have to be spay painted from the inside so you have to do some planning about how to get patterns on them. The flames are done by masking out everything else, then spraying the red flames, then the silver, then the white. Decals go on after on the outside, obv. :-) G
Jan 2021
9:56am, 28 Jan 2021
1,953 posts
  •  
Groundhog
That's a really nice job on the Tamiya. Does the exposed suspension at the front get hammered from grit when racing and do you ever put any other bodywork on the front for more downforce?
Jan 2021
10:00am, 28 Jan 2021
1,954 posts
  •  
Groundhog
In other weird news, I was looking for some old photos of the Messerschmitt to see how they look weathered from use, as mine is a bit too brand new looking. This popped up in the search - A photo of a bf109E being wind tunnel tested, available as a bath towel :-o
fineartamerica.com
Jan 2021
2:58pm, 28 Jan 2021
37,351 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That confused me Groundhog - thought you meant the bath towel had been in a wind tunnel?!

Well, now, if you're asking, you can see the suspension on all 3 cars is exposed at front and on the proper racers also at the back. Yes, they get horribly clogged up with dirt and grass, but it all clears out nicely. The oil filled suspension is sealed obviously, but you service the suspension every few (or dozens in my case cos I'm rubbish) races. Ditto gear box, diff, bearings etc.

There is a tiny front wing on the 2WD (the middle car) but I broke it off in a crash - didn't make much difference. Some of them do have more substantial front wings.

Massive amounts of other tweaks are possible, from weights, suspension stiffness, toe in / out angle, camber, diff type, gear ratio, tyres and much, much more to change for different grip requirements.

The white n red one has silver though it. You can see it on rear wing, but body is also meant to go from white at front to silver at back, but I didn't get it quite right. My first spray attempt though. :-) G
Jan 2021
12:38pm, 29 Jan 2021
37,368 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
For those who like "weathering" - as you can see on my two racers, using them can do a great job of weathering - worn tyres, crash damage and mud and scratches galore! :-) G
PK
Feb 2021
1:55pm, 5 Feb 2021
739 posts
  •  
PK
I've finished another one. :)

fetcheveryone.com/blog/96160
Feb 2021
2:19pm, 5 Feb 2021
37,576 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Nice.

Is it an E type Jag? Excuse my ignorance! Lovely model. Well done. Just need to get you on to building ones that go, next! ;-) :-) G
Feb 2021
2:21pm, 5 Feb 2021
37,577 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was thinking of getting myself another one to build, but the X-ray 4WD that I want is £400! Just for the model, not with the electrics in it to make it go. Another £200 for those.

Stupid thing is I can get a prebuilt second hand one for under £200. But I want to do the build myself! :-) G
PK
Feb 2021
2:29pm, 5 Feb 2021
740 posts
  •  
PK
It is the E-Type,yes.

I have a mate who builds remote control cars. He does mention the cost that's involved. He does like a bit of power, though, and I presume the faster it goes, the more expensive it is (in general).

At the moment, think I'll stick to me static £10 one, as opposed to a £600 one that moves :)
Feb 2021
3:02pm, 5 Feb 2021
37,579 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol. Good point! The Tamiya "only" cost £95, including motor, servo and speed controller (I had a spare transmitter and receiver and charger that I could use, tho I ended up buying a specific battery for it, but minimal additional cost for that one. Probably spent more on the spray paints, brushes, and masks. Painting it was fun though! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Model Fetchies - Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and Bikes and Tanks)

I got an Airfix model kit f...