Small backpacks

1 watcher
Sep 2013
10:02pm, 4 Sep 2013
64 posts
  •  
trebormint
Any recommendations for a small backpack?

I'd like something that holds a bottle or 2 but only does up across the chest - don't find anything around the waist comfortable. I've not used a bladder before and am not really keen on the idea. I've tried a few but haven't found anything that I like:

Mizuno 5L back pack: back was too rigid and the pockets on the side were too small
Deuter speed lite 10: the pockets on the side were too small
Salomon trail 10: pockets were too large! No change that the bottles would stay in there.

Am I just looking for something that doesn't exist? I'd like to be able to put my hand behind my back and pull out a bottle, perhaps from either side. Maybe I just need to try a bladder instead?

I've a 50k coming up soon and need to carry some kit such as a rain cover, phone, food and drink (beer).
Sep 2013
10:11pm, 4 Sep 2013
5,262 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Plenty of rucksack threads have come up before on here - have a search (top right hand corner), but I've got an OMM 10l last drop, which is ok if I want a small rucksack and has been recommended on here several times - I think the bottle holders are a bit awkward (wrong height). I also don't like the fact that the back is very soft, but it seems you don't like that.

Have a look at the raidlight 10l pack and the Inov8 versions as well. I've also got a 22l Osprey rucksack that I love - I use it for everything, including on the Saunders this year. They do smaller versions of approx 10l.

Depending on how much kit you need to take, I'd still think about a bumbag (there's a thread recently come up on this - I strongly recommend the OMM Ultra bag, as it's brilliant) - I use it on most long fell races and it gets all the kit in it I need. including a bottle. It also means that your back is open to allow cool air past it - I get very hot with a backpack on.
Sep 2013
10:26pm, 4 Sep 2013
65 posts
  •  
trebormint
Thanks foz.

I've run with a small SIS gel belt but don't think I could get on with anything larger around the waist. I'll have another look for some threads. Where did you get the Raidlight from?
Sep 2013
12:43pm, 5 Sep 2013
5,271 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I haven't got a Raidlight - couldn't justify the expense, but have a look here: likeys.com

Inov8: peteblandsports.co.uk

OMM: theomm.com

Osprey: cotswoldoutdoor.com
Sep 2013
12:56pm, 5 Sep 2013
5,273 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'd still highly recommend one of these if you're just wanting to carry minimum kit:

theomm.com

I can get waterproof jacket+trousers, helly, buff, whistle (built into zip), map, compass, gloves, hat, food and there's the bottle for water. It's getting a bit tight when I add more, such as survival bag, but that'll fit in as well. In short, I can get almost everything in for the vast majority of fell races. Only longer winter races, where extra warm layers are required, do I start thinking about using my Last Drop rucksack, or if I'm out for full day in the lakes say.
Sep 2013
7:46pm, 11 Sep 2013
66 posts
  •  
trebormint
I plumped for a Deuter speed lite 10 in the end but I'm not entirely happy. It bounces around a bit and I just can't get the shoulder straps correct to stop them digging into my neck.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by trebormint
Any recommendations for a small backpack?

I'd like something that holds a bottle or 2 but only ...