Slow Release Energy for Long Runs

3 watchers
Mar 2021
6:45pm, 31 Mar 2021
22,233 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Years ago I recall a mtb magazine researching this (wanting to spend hours on the trail) and iirc the conclusion was porridge. Before, not during - that could get messy.
Mar 2021
6:58pm, 31 Mar 2021
3,584 posts
  •  
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
Even porridge (before, not during, yet) spikes my BG. The wonders of diabetes 😪
Mar 2021
7:06pm, 31 Mar 2021
13,518 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Some carbs are absorbed more quickly than others. For example mixing fat and protein with carbs slows do the effect of carbs alone. It’s the reason why the recommended hypo treatments are basically pure sugar, something like chocolate is very high in carbs but the fat in chocolate slows absorption.
Mar 2021
7:20pm, 31 Mar 2021
22,234 posts
  •  
Dvorak
UC, would having your Scottish breakfast in reverse work then? Fried beef lorne, couple of eggs, slice of fried bread, then your porridge?
Mar 2021
7:30pm, 31 Mar 2021
13,519 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have eggs, toast and grapefruit for breakfast. Too many carbs in porridge for me and I have never like it anyway. So grapefruit is fairly quick acting, toast still fairly quick but eggs eaten with them slows everything down.
Mar 2021
7:33pm, 31 Mar 2021
3,586 posts
  •  
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
Do you bolus with your breakfast UC?
Apr 2021
7:26am, 1 Apr 2021
13,522 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I need to take insulin with any carbs eaten, at breakfast I need to take into account the dawn phenomenon as well. I can get away with 5-10 grams of carbs if I am a bit low and need to go out.

Everyone if different what works for me may not work for you.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TBR (TheBeardRunner)
Just wondered if people had any recommendations? As a diabetic the fast acting gels aren't grea...