slipped disc neck injury

2 watchers
Feb 2013
3:41pm, 22 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
twiff1970
Hi, I'm new to the site (thanks Guardian) and off running at the moment. A couple of weeks ago, after moving some furniture, I got numbness down both arms and in my middle and two smallest fingers. The numbness passed off after a couple of hours leaving just tingling in little and ring finger. I have been told that one of my cervical discs (i.e. in the neck) herniated. I saw a physio last thursday and they told me that running would be ok so long as I watched my posture etc. I ran 5k on saturday and felt fine. I ran 5k on sunday and felt ok, but later that night, I experienced severe nerve pain across shoulders and down outside of arms, wrists and fingers. I am now afraid to run at all - and also afraid that this will be a problem permanently. I have received very mixed advice as to whether running is too high impact and will jar vertebrae and should be given up altogether. Also received advice that original injury will take up to a couple of months to heal, but after that should be ok to run. Am going to see a sports physio who has been recommended to me but in the meantime would be really grateful for any advice from runners who have experience of this. I am pretty low at the moment - I have taken up running in the last year and a half and really love it - have lost more than three stone and have run two half marathons. I was really hoping to run a couple more and then think about a marathon later this year.
Feb 2013
3:43pm, 22 Feb 2013
13,696 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Hi, welcome to Fetch. The experts will be along in a minute. There's a number of doctors here.

I'm not one...
Feb 2013
3:51pm, 22 Feb 2013
47,207 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
welcome to fetch

Have you had a CT or MRI scan of the neck?

Herniated discs do heal(I did a back one at L4L5)but that pre dated running

have you still got numb fingers and pain?
Feb 2013
3:56pm, 22 Feb 2013
4,570 posts
  •  
becca7
Welcome to Fetch. I am not a doc (well, not a medical one) so can't offer any input in that regard. I also had this problem but with my back. It fully healed thanks to anti-inflammatories and exercises that the physio gave me. Rotten luck that you got this - I hope is better soon.
Feb 2013
4:00pm, 22 Feb 2013
11,054 posts
  •  
early bird
Welcome to fetch :-) Sorry I'm not a doc tho
Feb 2013
4:29pm, 22 Feb 2013
1,637 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Hi, welcome to Fetch.

I have a prolapsed disc at C5/C6. Running neither helps or aggravates it. Have you seen a physio, they should be able to sort out your current difficulties? If you're currently struggling, I wouldn't recommend running.

Once you're fixed, it might be an idea to look into things to prevent further occurrences. I use a special pillow, which really helps, and cuts back on episodes, and regular yoga has also helped me keep my neck aligned properly. I've not had an issue with my neck for a good few months now *touches wood*
Feb 2013
4:38pm, 22 Feb 2013
1,638 posts
  •  
Wobbling
*re-reads original post*

Hope the physio can sort you out and I wouldn't think they would tell you to quit running. My husband had a herniated disc in his lower back a few years ago and his physio told him to keep on running as it strengthens the back muscle and helps prevent a recurrence. Not really relevant to your injury, but as I mentioned, I have a prolapsed disc (ie it bulges a bit but hasn't yet fully herniated) and have been told I can keep on running.
Feb 2013
4:50pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,495 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Welcome to Fetch. I'm not a doc so can't help. Sorry.
Feb 2013
6:04pm, 22 Feb 2013
1,700 posts
  •  
minardi.
Hello twiff , sorry I can't help but I hope you get back running soon
Feb 2013
8:42am, 23 Feb 2013
2 posts
  •  
twiff1970
Thanks for all the replies. Great to feel so welcome! I haven't had an MRI but have been referred for one. Might take a while as I am using public health system in Ireland. I am not still experiencing numbness but just still got pain in my arms and neck, particularly towards the end of a long day at work. I am doing exercises (anderson stretches, and some isometric exercises) and friends of mine have now recommended a good physio so I will go to him next week.

Wobbling, you say you have a prolapsed disc at C5/6 - how long did you let it heal for before going back out running? Good tip about yoga - I will think about that as well when I'm feeling a bit better.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi, I'm new to the site (thanks Guardian) and off running at the moment. A couple of weeks ago, af...