Skin rash/prickly heat after running in cold air

2 watchers
Feb 2017
11:03pm, 7 Feb 2017
11,897 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I ran on the treadmill for 25 minutes in a cold garage (it's close to freezing outside, so probably no more than 5 degrees C in the garage). I had worked up a good sweat after 15 minutes or so and was running at around 10% slower than my 5k pace. No fan and all windows closed, so no air movement around me. As soon as I finished and came into the house, my skin started to itch over almost all my body, including areas that had been covered by clothing and those which hadn't. Now I have a rash which looks a little like pictures of miliaria crystallina. An hour later, after a cold shower and a tepid bath, it doesn't seem to have reduced at all. I feel as if I could scratch my skin raw! I have never experienced anything like this before. I have just taken an antihistamine tablet and wonder if anyone out there can throw any light on this condition and suggest any effective remedial action? Thanks!
Mar 2017
8:30am, 8 Mar 2017
45 posts
  •  
steve_c
I can't throw light on it, but check other things like your washing powder has been changed!
Mar 2017
9:23am, 8 Mar 2017
3,892 posts
  •  
minardi
I tend to get the itchy skin thing during a shower after a cold run - I just slather myself in Lanacane (other anti-itch creams are available!:-)) and it goes away quite quickly. I also get awful heat rash in the summer so I think the two may be connected in a weird sort of way

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I ran on the treadmill for 25 minutes in a cold garage (it's close to freezing outside, so probably...