Ski/Snow hols

37 watchers
Mar 2020
9:37pm, 15 Mar 2020
20,859 posts
  •  
Meglet
Clever of companies to offer the chance to hold the booking for later (colleague had BA offer to delay flights to Malaysia for free), at least you'll come back to them. I wonder what happens if they go bust though?
Mar 2020
9:42pm, 15 Mar 2020
10,632 posts
  •  
larkim
I’m strongly suspecting they are chancing their arm, as the contract (as well as I can read it) doesn’t allow for that possibility. We can only go this year for a variety of reasons, so I’ll be pressing for a refund, but there’s no rush - they’ll be bombarded by people over the next few days where travel was imminent, so I‘ll follow it through in a couple of days time.
Mar 2020
9:43pm, 15 Mar 2020
3,430 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Saw a travel "expert" on one of the shows yesterday saying that if you re-book a holiday to later in the year, and it was originally paid by a credit card, you would be covered, but they may try and offer you vouchers (to the value of the holiday) for you to use later - do not accept these, as they would likely be worthless if the company goes bust.
Dec 2020
12:26pm, 4 Dec 2020
36,706 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
I love skiing in Scotland and would like to support the snow centres as much as poss, but I can't see having a waiver for snow sports is a very clever idea, during the ongoing restrictions due to CV19.

I get the outdoors is low risk, but most of those attending come from central belt Scotland and from north England, highest infection areas. Inevitably there would be stops at service stations, cafes, shops etc. Surely?
Dec 2020
1:29pm, 4 Dec 2020
21,366 posts
  •  
Meglet
You’d get a massive influx of people who can’t go abroad to ski. Reading between the lines of various Facebook posts French resorts don’t look like opening soon. I would certainly consider visiting Scotland but you make a good point.
Dec 2020
1:37pm, 4 Dec 2020
20,815 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That's the worry. Massive influx of folks from the Deep South with their camping vans full of germs, planning to spend the weekend in the carpark. Mates of mine used to regularly finish work early on a Friday, drive to Scotland, park in a lay-by and sleep in the car/van for a few hours before having a couple of big days on the hill (they were mostly winter mountaineers, not skiiers, but the ethos is the same) and then crawl home late Sunday night fuelled on Monster drinks and chocolate bars!
Dec 2020
1:37pm, 4 Dec 2020
20,816 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
And that's when I worked in Oxfordshire.
Dec 2020
1:49pm, 4 Dec 2020
36,710 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Actually Angus, your campervan buddies are the only example that I think would be OK (as long as they paid contactless in the petrol station and used gloves and brought all their own Monster drinks, so no shopping). It's folk going into shops, pubs and staying over in hotels/BnBs - all the things we *want* them to do as tourists in normal times.

If someone drove up in their own car, didn't go into any hostelry, just enjoyed the hills and slopes and went home, I guess it would be low risk. But still not appropriate at this time, unfortunately. Just give snow centres the same bail out money they all other businesses are getting.
Dec 2020
1:56pm, 4 Dec 2020
12,882 posts
  •  
❄larkim❄
I'm going to guess that the campervan mobs spend quite a bit of time in the local hostelries!!
Dec 2020
1:57pm, 4 Dec 2020
20,824 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
My mates used to. The Clachaig in particular, but others too.

About This Thread

Maintained by hammerite
OK I've held off long enough.

If you're heading on a board or the planks, where are you off to?...