Sideways images

2 watchers
Jan 2013
2:49pm, 14 Jan 2013
12,263 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hello,

If you've noticed some of the images in the gallery being the wrong way round recently, then you're not alone - so have I. With all these new-fangled smart phones and fancy pants gadgets, photos get taken from all sorts of angles these days.

Fortunately, when these images are uploaded, they come with some 'hidden' info (called 'EXIF' data) that describes the orientation of the camera when the pic was taken. Using this, it's possible to rotate the pic until it's the right way up.

I've done a quick test with a pic I've taken on my iPhone, and it's done the job, but it's just one of many cases. There are any number of cameras out there, and they may not all be consistent in how they report the data - and if you've put the photo through a graphics package, there's every chance that the EXIF data has been mangled or removed.

So feel free to give it a go, and bear in mind that it won't have automatically fixed anything that you've already uploaded... and if you find a problem, a report via feedback would be good, including if possible the details of your cam/phone.

Thanks
Fetch
Jan 2013
3:31pm, 14 Jan 2013
6,802 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I have a device for rotating the photo to be the right way up. It's called a neck.
Ted
Jan 2013
3:33pm, 14 Jan 2013
12,475 posts
  •  
Ted
Thank you Fetch, it can be annoying trying to work out why people are trying to swim away from grass.
Jan 2013
3:37pm, 14 Jan 2013
12,264 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
My work here is done.
Ted
Jan 2013
3:40pm, 14 Jan 2013
12,476 posts
  •  
Ted
Good, go and work over there then, you are making the place look untidy. Thank you.
Jan 2013
4:21pm, 14 Jan 2013
7,305 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Can you start work on making photos automatically flattering to the subjects?
Jan 2013
4:48pm, 14 Jan 2013
6,661 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Here you are Caterpillar:

smosh.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello,

If you've noticed some of the images in the gallery being the wrong way round recently, t...