Sick After Intense Exercise

1 watcher
Sep 2011
6:55pm, 4 Sep 2011
3,270 posts
  •  
Kieren
rmaxinternational.com

Ive been doing some intense workouts - the 1st was a 60 day plan and I fell ill at the start week 2. The 2nd time I did this the same thing happened. After a 2 week holiday I am in round 3 of intense training and yet again ill - my spin aches and I feel like I have mild flu like symptoms.

I know exercise kills off white blood cells and wears you down but I'm trying to understand why this is happening? The link above says that when you exercise intensely your liver goes into overdrive and flushes out toxins at a faster rate. Also burning fat also produces waste and if you don't drink enough fluids the body can get overwhelmed by the toxins.

Anyone else fall into this pattern? Any Drs in the house think this sounds plausible?
Sep 2011
6:57pm, 4 Sep 2011
36,411 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Im not sure about the toxins idea

But heavy prolonged exercise does suppress the immune system, for sure

but you can get used to it
Sep 2011
6:58pm, 4 Sep 2011
16,956 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Dr Raptor says you are a medical mystery..... :)
Sep 2011
7:00pm, 4 Sep 2011
10,267 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
What toxins are these?

No, doesn't sound plausible. Neither does the white blood cell thing.
Sep 2011
7:04pm, 4 Sep 2011
2,716 posts
  •  
Cuddy
There was a study which showed that you're more prone to illness with a calorie deficit, and the effect is very quick...can't quote the study or the date though, something to do with different immune factors. If you're doing stuff like Insanity, I'm not surprised at all, damn rough stuff. I'm randomly falling asleep around the house all damn day.
Sep 2011
7:10pm, 4 Sep 2011
2,717 posts
  •  
Cuddy
Here's one:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Sep 2011
8:41pm, 4 Sep 2011
3,271 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks Cuddy :)

Johnny0, when you exercise you wipe out a lot of white blood cells - it usually takes about 90 minutes or so for the body to replenish the reserves.

I've been doing some more google-ing and found lots of people on forums have experienced similar.

From the different sources, the common themes seem to be increased acidity in the body (apparently a healthy cell is alkaline) so proper hydration can help normalise this. I don't know if there are any alkaline rich foods & if eating them would help combat this?

Elevated levels of stress hormone cortisol also get more than a few mentions but I disagree with that - I don't think cortisol is the demon hormone people think it is.

There was another page (with no linked study) that said training at over 90% vo2max can lower immune response for unto 72 hours. Trying to find something more on this...

Anyone else get ill - maybe after LSR's? track training?

Needless to say, no training tomorrow - just R&R
Sep 2011
9:58pm, 4 Sep 2011
148 posts
  •  
Rab Lee
often after ultras I'll be a bit ropey or pick up bugs really easily
occuptional hazard I suppose.
Sep 2011
9:00pm, 5 Sep 2011
1,218 posts
  •  
Paul Snell
I don't find the web page explanation too convincing mr K, but bouts of flu like sickness, or worse, after an increase in training load is very common for me. I have two small children (germs), I am chronically under rested (thanks kids) and my training load is very uneven, with often insufficient rest between workouts. Under rested + overstressed = sick and tired. Poor me! Any similarities?
Sep 2011
3:46am, 6 Sep 2011
3,272 posts
  •  
Kieren
Hey Paul, good to hear. Well not good but you know what I mean.

First time round I was under rested but not the 2nd two times. I'm definitely getting enough sleep.

2nd night in a row waking up soaked from fever sweats. Urine clear in the day, dark brown at night (the darkest I have ever seen). I'm well hydrated which is surprising me - polished off a litre of water the 1st night before bed and tonight half a litter before bed, have a bottle of water next to the bedside table.

Don' feel as rough as I did before and daytime fever / chills passed at work yesterday so annoyed they are back at night.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
rmaxinternational.com

Ive been doing some intense workouts - the 1st w...