Shred everyone - the Fetchland paperless office thread

16 watchers
Feb 2020
10:30am, 28 Feb 2020
19,206 posts
  •  
DeeGee
[He's Albion legend Dean Wilkins, by the way, brother of the thoroughly more famous Ray. Dean used to play alongside Steve Gatting, brother of the thoroughly more famous Mike. Imagine a team made up of the less successful brothers!]

Enough of the football, my colleague has a self adhesive plastic film, that adheres to most surfaces, and can be removed and reapplied at will, the obverse side of which is a dry-wipe board.

It's good stuff, we're sticking it everywhere!
Feb 2020
10:43am, 28 Feb 2020
1,428 posts
  •  
Weean
You can't move for that stuff in this office. Generally used to write stuff down that better belongs on flipcharts so they can be stored somewhere out of the way, instead of being adhered to cupboards so that they can no longer be opened!
Feb 2020
10:59am, 28 Feb 2020
19,215 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Phil Neville
Brian Greenoff
Ron Futcher
Feb 2020
11:02am, 28 Feb 2020
23,435 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
About a year ago, I switched from writing To Do lists in a paper diary (A5), to using the Calendar app on my mac. It's much easier to drag things into tomorrow when I haven't done them. And I have a lot of recurring tasks set up, which I would otherwise probably forget. Now I get a reminder that I've forgotten them.

For actual writing down, I have a pad of A4 that I am getting through at a glacial pace, plus I tend to use the backs and fronts of envelopes that Barclays and O2 insist on sending me.
Feb 2020
11:08am, 28 Feb 2020
19,217 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Blimey Fetcherrs, it must work out ridiculously expensive to throw a Mac into the bin every time you cross off the last item on the list?
Feb 2020
11:10am, 28 Feb 2020
118,231 posts
  •  
GregP
My biggest problems with electronic to do lists are their invisibility - they don't sit front and centre of my consciousness - and cutting and pasting something doesn't lodge it in the brain the way writing it out longhand does.
Feb 2020
2:57pm, 28 Feb 2020
45,523 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Inadvertently wrote one thing twice on my list today. I haven't done either yet, but I could cross off "delete duplicate item."
Feb 2020
3:01pm, 28 Feb 2020
19,246 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Some days (like today) my list is all about "ticks", which I use to remind me that I have started to do the "to do" item, but for whatever reason, haven't finished it.

#tickfriday
Feb 2020
3:04pm, 28 Feb 2020
43,613 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Added more things to my whiteboard today but didn't *fully* get rid of any.
Feb 2020
5:26pm, 28 Feb 2020
1,127 posts
  •  
Nessie
I've found my tribe :)

I tried to do a BuJo for "home" stuff, making it look all pretty and everything, but my life is pretty boring, so it tailed off when I went on holiday.

For work I have a 2 list system, extremely loosely based on a BuJo.

Main list is an A4 lined pad. I make 3 narrow columns on the right hand side headed with (today) F, M, A for the months. Everything I need to do gets added to the bottom of the list as it crops up/I remember it. I'm currently running to 3 pages. Anything with an absolute date is easy - meetings etc get the day put in correct month column. Things with deadlines are so described, but in the month column is the start date. I try to split things so that there's not too much of a gap between the start date and the deadline. Other stuff gets allocated a date depending on its relative urgency.

I then colour code with a highlighter in the margin. Meetings are pink, Urgent are orange, Routine are blue, External are purple. Once a task is complete, it gets fully highlighted in green.

My second list is an A5 pad, which has 2 days of tasks decanted from the main list, with estimated times on it. When I write this out, I can see if I've over-committed time on an individual day, and then reallocate it on the main list. This only has 2 days on it at any one time.

Once the main list gets more green than blank, I re-write and review whether things need to still be on there.

It works very well for me, because the dating means that you can see priorities without having to read the whole list in detail, or rewrite it too often to put urgent stuff at the top.

My whiteboard, because of its position, just gets used to hold useful phone numbers, analysis codes, and maturity dates. It also has the word "poopy" on it, courtesy of my 8 year old.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
"Leuchtturm1917" - a harrowing portrayal of trench warfare, but this time from the German side. .