Shoulder/neck stiffness/pain

1 watcher
Mar 2015
11:30am, 27 Mar 2015
2,746 posts
  •  
emdee
A few months back, seemingly out of nowhere, I developed a stiffness in my left shoulder which caused pain when turning my head to the left. I had a massage which eased it a couple of months ago but it's worse than ever now. I tend to carry tension in my shoulders and always have, but now it's affecting the neck still and there's a constant sort of deadening feeling deep within my shoulder and extending a short way down into my left upper arm.

I had an issue a couple of years back with my piriformis putting pressure on the sciatic nerve and creating a similar deadening feeling down my left leg. Different area obviously, but it feels similar.

Any ideas for treatment? Could go to my GP I suppose, but for some reason I don't see things like this as something to trouble the NHS with, unless it gets really bad. I should probably book in for further massage or to see an osteopath I suppose. Nothing in particular seems to trigger it, and nothing much seems to ease it.. bar a glass of wine or two ;)
Mar 2015
11:33am, 27 Mar 2015
677 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Ive just had something very similar. Resisted stretching really helped with the symptoms, and applying ice to the shoulder after. It'll take a good massage therapist/physio to find the actual cause...
Mar 2015
11:34am, 27 Mar 2015
678 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Also check out the 'Waiters tip' stretch to loosen the shoulder :)
Mar 2015
11:35am, 27 Mar 2015
3,184 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
A work colleague has been suffering in much the same way for a couple of weeks and was diagnosed this morning with a frozen shoulder which is going to take a fair bit of treatment as she's left it for a while. I'd say go and get it looked at as soon as you can.
.B.
Mar 2015
12:12pm, 27 Mar 2015
15,064 posts
  •  
.B.
I agree with the suggestion to get it checked. A couple of years ago I had some neck/shoulder issues and it was a bulging disc in my neck. Lots of treatment and home exercises sorted me out, but I wouldn't have got there without the original diagnosis. Good luck!
Mar 2015
2:26pm, 27 Mar 2015
2,747 posts
  •  
emdee
Thanks all. Frozen shoulder seems to match the symptoms :( I'll make an appointment
D2
Mar 2015
5:26pm, 27 Mar 2015
6,225 posts
  •  
D2
I had something similar caused by sitting at my pc / using mouse for too long in one position without moving / stretching
Mar 2015
7:47pm, 27 Mar 2015
1,064 posts
  •  
Tigerlily
Like the others have said, sounds like a frozen shoulder. I've been troubled with mine since October 13 and only now is it 'thawing'. Get it checked and get some physio. Good luck and heal soon!
Mar 2015
10:55am, 28 Mar 2015
8 posts
  •  
steve45
Had this myself a couple of years back..one physio (private) did massage and all the usual but no improvement until I finally saw an NHS physio who diagnosed and stated clearly that I had has a prolapsing disc at the top end of my spine...by that time it was luckily resolving itself. Was given exercises to ensure a full recovery. The whole episode too four months with pins and needles and considerable pain down one arm on occasion. Have had a stiff neck recently that has lasted two months already but is resolving itself slowly!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by emdee
A few months back, seemingly out of nowhere, I developed a stiffness in my left shoulder which cause...