Should I get it checked out?

1 watcher
Aug 2016
7:26am, 9 Aug 2016
21,127 posts
  •  
halfpint
Yesterday I had a bit of an accident. I was having a go on a rope swing when I lost my grip and came off. It swings out to quite a height and I'm not sure how high I was when I fell but enough to smash my upper back and head into the ground, leaving me winded, dizzy and in some pain. I soldiered on with the walk but was struggling to bend down to throw the dogs ball. The drive home was uncomfortable, especially changing gear and using the hand brake. I took some ibuprofen, which dulled the pain a bit. I've had a crap night's sleep as no position is comfortable, and sitting up to get out of bed was a challenge this morning. Even with ibuprofen it is pretty sore.

So, I'm hoping it is soft tissue damage causing the pain and thinking MTFU, take some pain relief and give it a couple of days rest. I have a wonderful osteopath who has literally just finished sorting me out, so maybe a visit to her in a week or so if the pain persists. However, I also have a niggling worry that it's my back and neck and maybe I should get it checked out just to be sure.
Aug 2016
7:34am, 9 Aug 2016
11,470 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Yikes, sorry to hear of this accident.

I would think getting yourself checked would be a good idea, even if the doctor just gives you stronger pain killers.

Osteopath appointment definitely.
Aug 2016
9:32am, 9 Aug 2016
21,129 posts
  •  
halfpint
Thanks UC. I hate wasting my GP's time but it probably makes sense.

Ibuprofen, a shower and getting moving has eased things off a bit but still in pain.
Aug 2016
9:59am, 9 Aug 2016
9,047 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I would consider seeing a physio - when I trapped a nerve in my back a few years ago visits to the GP just got me pain-killers and instructions to rest/move gently. The physio correctly diagnosed what I'd done, treated it and gave me exercises to do to aid my own recovery - not sure I would have healed as quickly without her.
Aug 2016
10:03pm, 9 Aug 2016
19,515 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Wouldn't it be sensible to get yourself checked in A&E in case of concussion or unseen damage to your back/neck - xray?
Aug 2016
10:08pm, 9 Aug 2016
12,027 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I agree with alpenrose. If I'd fallen from a height and hit my head, I think that's the bit I'd be most worried about. Leave it a week and see if it still hurts seems a bit ... casual.
Aug 2016
10:15pm, 9 Aug 2016
16,317 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
You should get checked out at A&E, think you only have 72 hours to go there without being sent through your gp. Take care x
Aug 2016
10:10am, 10 Aug 2016
21,133 posts
  •  
halfpint
Oh crap now you have me worried. Yesterday it seemed to ease off a bit and my Mum said not to bother going to the doctor....so I didn't. Tried getting a GP appointment this morning so they could advise whether A&E was necessary but I was too late and the receptionist was being difficult. Washing my hair proved difficult this morning and now I am thinking you wise people are all right.
Aug 2016
10:24am, 10 Aug 2016
6,768 posts
  •  
lammo
Doctors receptionists being difficult :-0

Yes go to A&E, better safe than sorry, especially if washing your hair was painful.
Aug 2016
11:10am, 10 Aug 2016
4,511 posts
  •  
Winded
If it is bad enough to ask the question it is bad enough to see A&E. If you were just shaken up & had a light bruise I don't think you'd have started this thread.

About This Thread

Maintained by halfpint
Yesterday I had a bit of an accident. I was having a go on a rope swing when I lost my grip and cam...