Shoes for mixed terrain

5 watchers
Nov 2014
10:30pm, 12 Nov 2014
5 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Hopelessly confused about all the types of running shoes out there!

Most of my running is on the road and other hard surface paths, but some of the footpaths I use are getting muddy and slippery as we head towards winter. What shoes are good for grip in the mud but aren't going to suffer from being used on the roads a lot? I'm female but with wide feet. Thanks!
Nov 2014
12:03am, 13 Nov 2014
1,429 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
My New Balance road shoes are equally happy on trails 😃
Nov 2014
12:19am, 13 Nov 2014
9,272 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Well, you might want to give these a try :-) Door to trail http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=5988&y=2014&m=10 salomon.com

(If they have a weakness, the tread may not be the best on a smooth, solid, but wet surface: not shoes for the pavé.)
Nov 2014
6:51am, 13 Nov 2014
4,144 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I have last year's version of the Salomons in Dvorak's link ( mine were a Go Outdoors bargain, you might be lucky and find your size)

Agree about the wet tarmac - downhill on the road in torrential rain was "interesting"! other than that, they're pretty good for mixed surfaces.

I'm told the Brooks pure grit do mixed terrain well - and they are often available cheaply on t'web
Nov 2014
7:42am, 13 Nov 2014
13,536 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Brooks and New Balance spring to mind here too
Nov 2014
9:45am, 13 Nov 2014
6 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks folks! Gradually working my way through the reviews of various brands mentioned.

I'm mostly concerned about not slipping on wet road, fallen leaves and mud (bit of a phobia about falling) so looks like Brooks and Salomans might be out. One of the many New Balance versions could be the thing.
Nov 2014
10:14am, 13 Nov 2014
1,147 posts
  •  
jacdaw
There was the Inov8 Terrafly, designed for road and light trail, which was quite nice, but has been discontinued; there may still be some about. They were good for my wide feet, although I did split them quite quickly. I use my Nike Zoom Kigers on road, trail (and occasionally fell); not bad, but not great in mud even though they are a trail shoe. And the Inov8 Trailroc 255 are a good trail shoe that is OK on the road, but maybe a bit hard if you like cushioning.

All of those options are fairly minimal, if you like that kind of thing.
Nov 2014
10:51am, 13 Nov 2014
13,539 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Wife wears Roc-lite (268?) For all her running ;-)
Nov 2014
11:12am, 13 Nov 2014
16,213 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I have a pair of Saucony Xodus for LDWA marathons, which have a completely random collection of road/off-road/cloying deep mud. I tend to wear them any time I plan going off-road - from my house to the Wolds is three miles on road, for instance.
Nov 2014
11:16am, 13 Nov 2014
13,540 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I wear Walshes for similar (my old bald ones)

About This Thread

Maintained by Fragile Do Not Bend
Hopelessly confused about all the types of running shoes out there!

Most of my running is on the ...