Shoes and heel/midfoot/forefoot strike

4 watchers
Sep 2012
2:18pm, 20 Sep 2012
202 posts
  •  
Stripes
Apologies for the self-indulgent question, but I wondered if anyone had any views on my current shoe dilemma!

I currently wear big chunky Asics Kayanos stability shoes, which I was fitted for several years ago having been told I overpronate.

In the last few months to try and cut out the niggling injuries and pains I have been getting for a while, I have gone from heel striking to mid-foot striking. I have also just started working with my physio to try to develop a fore-foot running style, but obviously it will take a while to adapt to that and at the moment I am doing most running midfoot style with short periods of forefoot style running to get used to it.

In the meantime I'm not sure what shoes to buy. My Kayanos have about 450 miles on them so need to be replaced fairly soon. My physio mentioned Newtons, which are specifically designed for foreoot runners, but obviously at the moment I am only just starting to work on forefoot style. He also mentioned Nike Free, but I'm not really interested in going down the minimalist / bearfoot running route and I'm a bit worried about the minimal padding as I'm not particularly injury resilient and especially when I am still doing most of my running midfoot. Since I started running regularly I've only ever run in Kyanos, so I am a big clueless about other running shoes!

What kind of shoes should I now buy? Are there any that are suitable for midfoot and forefoot running? Will I still overpronate if I have changed my running style? Do I need another gait analysis?

Sorry for the rambling post! Any views appreciated!
Sep 2012
3:25pm, 24 Sep 2012
1,840 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
*bump*
Sep 2012
3:41pm, 24 Sep 2012
3,604 posts
  •  
fleecy
Go to your local running shop, tell them all this and then try on lots of shoes :) I think I spent about an hour trying on shoes last time I went, they should be happy to help you decide on something suitable. I like my Sauconys for road shoes, my feet find them very comfy, but everyone's different.
Sep 2012
3:46pm, 24 Sep 2012
220 posts
  •  
AndrewS
If you can run forefoot or midfoot in cushioned shoes, why would you need minimalist footwear? The whole idea of minimalist shoes (apart from them being the latest fad) is to 'force' the runner to stop heal striking. If you can do that without the minimalist shoes then save your money.

Buy shoes that are cheap, comfortable and look nice ;-)
Sep 2012
5:03pm, 24 Sep 2012
205 posts
  •  
Stripes
Thanks for your responses everyone.

To be clear, I don't want minimalist shoes! I just don't know what's appropriate for me now my running style has changed and my physio recommended Nike Frees etc. It seems that forefoot running and barefoot running are very closely linked. My physio is a barefoot running fan...

I'll go and get a running assessment at sweatshop and see what they recommend.
Sep 2012
5:11pm, 24 Sep 2012
453 posts
  •  
Canute
This a question that has generated huge amount of discussion but few clear answers. It is important to avoid being swayed too much by fashion, either that promoted by show companies or that by the bare-foot advocates. As far as I can see, the evidence suggests (but does not prove) the following principles:

1) Heavily padded shoes probably do not reduce injury and might even increase risk by deadening your awareness to what is happening at footfall. Heavy shoes definitely increase the energy cost of running because you have to do more appreciably work required to move your foot up and forwards on each stride.

2) Much the same applies to stability shoes designed to reduce pronation. A modest amount of pronation is normal. Maybe heavy pronation does need addressing but I am not sure that stability shoes are the best way to do this.

3) As a counterbalance to the first point, a small amount of underfoot padding probably does improve efficiency by allowing you to maintain a slightly stiffer leg at foot fall. A landing that is too soft might not capture elastic energy with maximum efficiency. On the other hand, footfall that is too hard might increase risk of injury. However this is a hotly debated issue. My own experience is that e at least for myself, a modest amount of padding is best. I am a midfoot striker and have found Asics DS racers about right. These are actually designed for racing rather than heavy duty training, but I use them for most of my training. However I am fairly light (61Kg). A heavier person might be better off with a bit more padding, especially if they have used to more heavy padding in the past.

4) A spacious toe-box allows your toes to move so as to optimise distribution of the load. I am wary of Newtons because as far as I can see they do not allow the toes to spread naturally.

5) Do not make an abrupt large change in the amount of padding unless you are prepared to cut back training to a low level and build up gradually. If you have been using heavily padded shoes, and want to reduce the amount of padding, avoid big a change for the next pair.
Sep 2012
5:17pm, 24 Sep 2012
14,453 posts
  •  
Stumpy
several thoughts occur to me.

1) who has told you to run forefoot vs midfoot and what are they saying are the distinctions? i'd be really concerned about proactively running forefoot as you risk putting too much strain on your calves. why move to forefoot from midfoot? your physio may well be into barefoot running but that isn't the same as forefoot running. and you can still run badly barefoot or in minimalist shoes. unless you physio knows and has trained in running gait (rather than just liking the idea of barefoot running) then might be good to get other advice.

2) have you been and checked out the efficient running or POSE threads on here? those are the folk to talk to if you are serious about changing your running style

3) as andrew says, if your style/gait is fine in cushioned shoes and nothing is broken, why are you looking to change shoes?

4) feel free to get a gait analysis at sweatshop but my guess is they will still tell you to wear the same shoes. they always suggest shoes for overpronation to me, which injure me. and i do better in neutral ones. but if what you have works then stick with it.

tbh, if you are serious about running style and gait, i'd get over onto the efficient running thread, ask their advice or find some local running workshops.

PS don't get newtons. i've seen people injure themselves badly by going arse over tit wearing them. literally tripping over their own feet.
Sep 2012
6:19pm, 24 Sep 2012
133 posts
  •  
Bensey
Srtipes, cushioned running shoes have a built-up midsole and heel that can make it tricky to change to a midfoot style, but transitioning too quickly to a minimal shoe will either require you cut back to short distances while your body adapts, or you could find a 'transitional' shoe. I used Brooks Green Silence my transitional shoe. They're available at Sweatshop for only £44. http://running.sweatshop.co.uk/search?w=green+silence&asug=&Submit=Search.

Sweatshop offer a good selection of shoes, and their assistants are way better than average. But their knowledge and experience of midfoot running is usually a little bit limited. So don't expect them to offer any radical advice. I'm generalizing a lot here, and I actually was recommended Brooks Green Silence in a Sweatshop store.

Check out the efficient, Chi and POSE running articles. Attend a Chi Running class if you can, or at least buy the book or video.

But most of all learn to listen to your body. It'll tell you much better than anyone can what's best for you. After all, the only advice I'm able to give you is what I learned about what's best for me by listening to my body. My body isn't the same as your body -- that would be just weird -- so my advice is imperfect.
Sep 2012
6:41pm, 24 Sep 2012
1,265 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Stripes, trying to develop a midfoot style or suchlike will result in injury quite probably. This is because involving wilful effort in the running action slows stuff down and has unexpected results on your running form. Also, many people when trying to change the way their foot lands just ends up with them doing a forced forefoot/midfoot landing which will over stress the calf/achilles.

I wouldn't change anything unless you are getting real problems and it is obvious to you that you need to change the way you run.

If you decide to change to a more efficient way of running then highly cushioned shoes do not help you to do this. As Canute says though, there could be a limit to which you could personally go to. I have found that I need some sort of sole there to give me protection from sharp stones and for longer distances the feet tend to get a bit achy with very thin soles.

Innov8 do a good choice of shoes but they tend to be a bit narrow which is a shame. Vivobarefoot do a good range of wider toe box shoes but they may be too minimalist for some.
Sep 2012
7:19pm, 24 Sep 2012
3,475 posts
  •  
Kieren
I found 'racers' were a great middle ground to help me land better. The discontinued Nike Zoom Marathoners and now I'm in New Balance 760s which aren't really racers but are quite light and don't has as massive a sole as some other shoes. I find it east to land midfoot in these but they are forgiving if your form suffers as you tire

I do think you should go to a running shop and explain you want a lighter shoe. The staff at sweatshop have always been a great help to me and many are also excellent runners so talk form passion and experience. The guy that sold me the New Balanace was sub 15 minute 5K runner!!

I also run in puma H streets which are like plimsoles. These are great but if you haven't worn zero drop heel shoes before it can take 6 months plus to fully adapt imho. Much better to walk in them as a starting point.

About This Thread

Maintained by Stripes
Apologies for the self-indulgent question, but I wondered if anyone had any views on my current shoe...