shoes - average retiral mileages for different shoes?

4 watchers
Jul 2012
3:00pm, 9 Jul 2012
2,925 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Not really, but I appreciate the effort ;-). That's average retirement age by brand. What I miss is:

We used to able to see what shoes each other used ("this user runs in ......" or something similar, was on everyone's profile page).

And then clicking on a particular model would take us to:
- a list of all users who ran in that model (and any reviews)
- and a retirement bar graph by model (not just by brand).

Is all that still alive somewhere?
Jul 2012
3:19pm, 9 Jul 2012
11,433 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The issue is that by offering a "select from this list" option, rather than free text, I spent a lot of time responding to requests to add every make and model under the sun - a problem that was only going to get worse with adding bike parts to the kit bag. So the free text option gets round that, by letting people record things whichever way they want. The problem then becomes finding common manufacturer naming amongst those items of kit e.g. "Inov-8" vs "Inov8" vs "Inov 8", and the problem is a million times worse when it comes to model naming:

GEL-KAYANO

GEL KAYANO 18

Gel-Kayano 18

kayano 18

GEL-KAYANO 17

Gel Kayano

kayano

kayano 17

Gel Kayano 17

GEL Kayano 15

GEL Kayano 16

GEL-KAYANO 16

Kayano 11

Kayano 17 (2)

GEL Kayano 14

GEL-KAYANO 17 Blue

Gel-Kayano 17_1

Kayano 17 Pair 3

kayano 18 (black and lime green)

GEL-KAYANOGreenish

Kayano (New)

gel kayano 17 new

GEL-KAYANO 17B

GEL-KAYANO 17 Red

Gel-Kayano (NEW)

gel kayano black

GEL-KAYANOSilver

Kayano - Red for Brighton

GEL-KAYANO 17 (Navy)

GEL-KAYANO 18 black green

GEL-KAYANO - Blue

gel - Kayano (2)

Kayano 18 II

kayano purple

kayano 16

Kayano(Black)

Kayano 17 Blue

Gel-Kayano 17s

Kayano 14

kayano 1B

Gel Kayano 17 pair 2

Kayano 15

GEL_KAYANO 17

KAYANO3

GEL-KAYANO 16R

Black Kayanos

kayano 16 pair2

GEL Kayano 15 (April 11)

GEL-KAYANOOrange

kayanos

Of course I could do things statistically, by only including pieces of kit with more than say 50 users - but I think the high scoring top entry in the table above comes from the transfer of data from the older system, and as we move forward, things will become increasingly fragmented.
Jul 2012
4:30pm, 9 Jul 2012
2,926 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Hmmm. I'm sensing that might be a "No". I can understand the maintenance of the "select-from" lists would have been time-consuming. It's a shame to have lost these features though. The only compromise I can think of is one where we are able to add stuff ourselves to drop-down lists - so people are still mandated to choose from a list for all their kit items, but they can create a new item themselves if the right kit isn't there.

Or maybe someone else has a different and cleverer compromise.
Jul 2012
4:39pm, 9 Jul 2012
727 posts
  •  
Curly45
Its a problem that comes up in my work actually (academic institutions and hospitals rather than trainers though). Free text fields are very difficult to maintain/audit/etc.

The only solution that we know of is pay someone to supply a definitive list.

Now that isnt as crazy as it might sound in this case (a bit off the wall but not completely crazy) - Fetch I wonder if you could ask one of the sports shops to supply a list every quarter of current trainers? They have to produce/modify and standarise this list for their websites anyway...then you can link to them on the page with a cross sell. E.g. Trainers a bit tired. Try here for some new ones?

Or something like that.

A long shot, but an idea.
Jul 2012
9:15pm, 9 Jul 2012
1,292 posts
  •  
Lyns
thanks fetch.. obviously there are more issues here but your newsletter answered my original question :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
i could have imagined this but i thought on this site you could find out the average retiral mileage...