Shoe size advice - where should your toes end in a shoe?/whats a good wide shoe?

1 watcher
Jan 2012
5:25pm, 3 Jan 2012
988 posts
  •  
Fright_freak
Hi all,

Is it bad if you have too much space between the end of your toe and the front of the shoe? When I say too much I mean 1.25cm..ish.

Here's the rest of the story for those who feel like they may have an idea..
I have a neutral gait (and tend to run on my toes a bit) and have been running in Asics gel nimbus 12s and more recently 13s for the past 3 years or so and never had any issues with them..
My feet are around a size UK 9 1/2 to 10 but quite wide..So the previous shoes I've had have been a US 11 and half so allow for some space for my little toe other wise it gets crushed. The most recent 13s I had were actually more narrow than the previous ones so I stretched them out a bit and they were fine.

However now when I need a new pair I was told in the sports shop that the fit on the length was not good and they would not recommend I run in them..

So, is this a bad thing if there's too much of a gap at the front and if so, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement which is a bit wider I can try?
Jan 2012
6:52pm, 3 Jan 2012
4,579 posts
  •  
mulbs
My OH has to get our local shop to order in 2e fittings, he's been much happier since having a shoe that is wider - could be worth going down same road?
Jan 2012
7:18pm, 3 Jan 2012
3,806 posts
  •  
Debstir
General rule of thumb is you should have a thumb's width between the end of your longest toe and the end of the shoe. I ran in UK 5.5 for years and years and Sweatshop recommended I run in UK6, wouldn't go back to 5.5 now I'm used to the slightly bigger shoe. Also have less / almost no issues with shoes rubbing the inside of my foot like I used to have.
Jan 2012
7:35pm, 3 Jan 2012
2,186 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
I have wide (neutral) feet too, I use Mizunos since they seem generous. I generally run in a size larger than regular footwear and haven't noticed any problems upto half marathon distance and upto 40ish miles a week.
Jan 2012
8:30pm, 3 Jan 2012
4,150 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Debstir said it for me :) I am a size 5 shoe running in 5.5 or 6 now go for 6 or 6.5 depending on fit, but the thumb width is what I've been told in past.

not sure on wide fit though sorry :(
Jan 2012
10:14am, 4 Jan 2012
989 posts
  •  
Fright_freak
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info :) Will look into 2e fittings and Mizunos too.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fright_freak
Hi all,

Is it bad if you have too much space between the end of your toe and the front of the sho...