Shoe prices

7 watchers
Feb 2013
8:18pm, 5 Feb 2013
441 posts
  •  
Longwayround (LWR)
Cunning plan: own two pairs of trainers. Buy the second pair of trainers once the first have done a couple of hundred miles. When the first pair start feeling noticeably less suitable than the second, think about buying a third pair.

If your shoes last forever, that's lovely. If they don't, that's costly. I'm not convinced there's a lot that the average keen amateur can do about it.
Feb 2013
9:33pm, 5 Feb 2013
28,805 posts
  •  
Hendo
Paul - not grumpy, just charmingly dry. Think twinkle in the eye and Lionel Blair Wink.

Davie - re options - I agree with that.
Davie - re pissing - you're amazing.

*jazz hands*
Feb 2013
4:46pm, 6 Feb 2013
14,164 posts
  •  
flanker
I prefer the grumpy version. I know where I am with him.

I got 97 miles from my last pair of shoes before they fell apart. Just for balance...
Feb 2013
5:13pm, 6 Feb 2013
28,806 posts
  •  
Hendo
Were they made from paper?
Feb 2013
5:19pm, 6 Feb 2013
3,901 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
stupid prices for trainers aren't new - I remember paying £125 for Nike Air Max variants 15-20 years ago to try still be able to do long runs with my dodgy knees.
Feb 2013
9:33pm, 6 Feb 2013
7,392 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Now the new Hendo is confusing me. Is he really grumpy or is he pissing about?

The whole barefoot running thing sounds interesting though. How many miles before I need new feet?

And just to add fuel to the fight, my current trainers are falling to bits though the soles are 100% intact and the cushioning is as new. They've done hardly any miles - all treadmill - and they're f**ked. All other shoes I have had would win the pissing contest hands down. Thousands of muddy tarmac miles, and the cushioning was still fine. They just got smelly!
Feb 2013
9:52pm, 6 Feb 2013
2,880 posts
  •  
daviec
If smell was the indicator I'd have to chuck mine out after each run.
Feb 2013
10:11pm, 6 Feb 2013
981 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Want someone to laugh at? I weigh about 56kg, I'm a forefoot striker and my shoes last......about 300 miles. That really hacks me off. Did get 400 out of a pair of Brooks recently but when the sole has worn down to the fabric on the outside of both shoes then I don't think that you can really go much further in them. Grrrr (not the Happy one).
Feb 2013
10:16pm, 6 Feb 2013
982 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Oh yes, I did stumble across some f*ckwit on youtube retiring a pair of Nike Free after 400 miles because the 'support' was gone in them. There's no fecking support in them in the 1st place you numpty. He was also concerned about loss of traction as some of the nobbles were *slightly* worn. Now there's someone brainwashed by the manufacturers mileage 'rule'.

I'm usually pretty happy but I guess this shows I'm quite grumpy about this. Goodnight.
Feb 2013
10:24pm, 6 Feb 2013
4,545 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I have a self-imposed £50 barrier for running shoes. After all don't forget most are shipped by the container load from Asia at a cost of US Dollar 20 or 30 per pair. £100+ for a bit of rubber and synthetic fabric is ridiculous. You can buy a bike, with gears etc for that

About This Thread

Maintained by Da Big Guy
Is it just me or has the price of trainers (Asics specifically) gone up an awful lot? 6 months ago I...