Shoe gurus and nerds invited to show off

2 watchers
Apr 2012
12:38pm, 4 Apr 2012
7,447 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Most of my running is in Mizuno Wave Inspire 4 or 6. They both have 1500 miles behind them and I have no problems.

I also have some NB 902. They have caused pain on the right only in a circle round my ankle (medial), or going up about 1/3 up the inside of my calf. Imagine a lower-case letter d with my ankle in the hole.

My right foot turns out slightly; I land midfoot but more on the outside of my foot than I would like.

What I want to know is, what property might the 902 have that I should ask to avoid when buying my next shoes?
Apr 2012
12:43pm, 4 Apr 2012
178 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
What colour are the NB 902?
Apr 2012
2:05pm, 4 Apr 2012
7,448 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Thanks for that question. I'd like to answer it in two ways: 1) Orange and Silver. 2) Mud-coloured.
Apr 2012
4:07pm, 4 Apr 2012
40 posts
  •  
Vicky W
No great knowledge here, but I think the main difference is that wave inspires are for runners who need support (maybe for overpronators) and the 902s are for netural runners?

Sounds like you're running in two different types of shoe & your body's letting you know.

Or, perhaps it doesn't like the colour ;-)
Apr 2012
6:09pm, 4 Apr 2012
105 posts
  •  
Fitz
Isn't 1500 miles an awful lot for a pair of running shoes? I know that doesn't help answer your question though, sorry!
Apr 2012
6:27pm, 4 Apr 2012
7,449 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
It is, but I'm happy with them until the tears in the uppers all join up and there is no shoe left.

Can it be such a straightforward difference as between support & neutral?
Apr 2012
6:41pm, 4 Apr 2012
859 posts
  •  
louismaxy
I still have my pair of Wave Inspire 4's I use them to do the gardening in...................

I found with them that anything over 6 miles and my knees would begin to ache ??

Anyhow love your milage in them and goodluck
Apr 2012
6:42pm, 4 Apr 2012
3,189 posts
  •  
icemaiden
If you go with new Mizunos you may like to skip the 7s, they are quite different to the 6s which I loved. The 8s are meant to be more like the 6s.
Apr 2012
7:20pm, 4 Apr 2012
7,450 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I have an untouched pair of 6 for when I need them, and then I expect to go to the 8.
Apr 2012
8:03pm, 4 Apr 2012
647 posts
  •  
loki
If you're running midfoot the structured/ neutral thing probably doesn't work in the same way as for heelstriking so it's probably not that simple. I'd assume the nbs have more midfoot cushioning than the mizunos and that's allowing a twist in your foot on landing which is transferring to your ankle. I had something similar in my early midfoot days, but can't remember offhand which shoes or how I fixed it. You probably have compressed the cushioning in the mizunos over 1500m, essentially creating some more minimal shoes. I might try measuring them for comparison but squishiness is also relevant. I'd suggest you look for some shoes with similar levels of cushioning to your mizunos now.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
Most of my running is in Mizuno Wave Inspire 4 or 6. They both have 1500 miles behind them and I hav...