Sherpa Van type luggage carrying services

5 watchers
Jul 2018
9:56pm, 23 Jul 2018
19,051 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yes.

Very...you obviously have to pay quite a price. We have used contours. Very good, find places close to your routes, do all the major paths and have options for the number of days...we used them for the IoW coastal path and the Peddars Way and North Norfolk Coastal paths
Jul 2018
9:57pm, 23 Jul 2018
19,052 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
contours.co.uk
Jul 2018
9:58pm, 23 Jul 2018
19,053 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Possibly not quite what you were asking for mind 😉
.B.
Jul 2018
10:17pm, 23 Jul 2018
37,805 posts
  •  
.B.
We used a company (Packhorse) to organise everything when we did the Coast to Coast. Definitely more expensive than booking accommodation yourself, but it was so easy and the organisation, standard of B&B, transport back to the start, etc was superb. Some people used the same company just for baggage after they could no longer carry their huge packs of camping gear, and it worked for them too.
I used Contours for my short trip on the SWCP and they were similarly excellent.
Jul 2018
10:49pm, 23 Jul 2018
16,960 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Used Contour for our bit of Coast to Coast this year. No problems at all except when we forgot to put our bags out by the specified time and the hotel had to come and find us. Otherwise an invisible service.
Jul 2018
1:10pm, 24 Jul 2018
230 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Have used Sherpa ( dales way ) and Packhorse ( coast to coast ) to transport luggage and park our car ( Packhorse ) with no problems at all. Booked our own accommodation ( not always on route and they were very helpful.
Jul 2018
1:28pm, 24 Jul 2018
26,019 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'll be using a service in October for WHW. It's reassuring to hear positive experiences of such things. It just seemed an easier way of booking accommodation and with the dog joining us I didn't fancy carrying a weeks worth of food.
Jul 2018
1:36pm, 24 Jul 2018
16,961 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
One thing Contour did for us was, when we needed to spend a night somewhere that had no accommodation left, to arrange a taxi at the end of one day and back again the next morning. Felt a bit odd but again it was a faultless service.
Jul 2018
2:02pm, 24 Jul 2018
34,524 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Ah, that's one of the things I was wondering about as you could effectively be 'competing' for accommodation with people who are planning their whole way themselves.
.B.
Aug 2018
5:08pm, 2 Aug 2018
37,862 posts
  •  
.B.
We definitely had better accommodation than some of the people we spoke to who had booked accommodation at pubs and B&Bs themselves. I suspect the B&B owners like having the regular business from the companies and give them first dibs.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Obviously I'm an experienced hiker and we always carry all our stuff with us at all times (incl...