Sherpa Van type luggage carrying services

5 watchers
May 2018
9:21am, 30 May 2018
34,022 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Obviously I'm an experienced hiker and we always carry all our stuff with us at all times (including a selection of hardback books) because we're ruffty and indeed tuffty. However, I've seen that there are a number of baggage carrying services that hoik your bag from place to place for a fee so you can do, e.g. the Coast to Coast or Pennine Way with a daysac and not have your spine so badly squished.

Have any Fetchies used such a service? Was it okay? Did your bags turn up where and when you expected?

Thanks in advance. You are lovely.
May 2018
9:24am, 30 May 2018
24,523 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Four friends have just completed the Coast to Coast with approx 20 pre-booked B&Bs and a sherpa service. They completed last weekend and initial reports suggest no adverse experiences. I'll ask for more details.
May 2018
9:26am, 30 May 2018
34,023 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Excellent, cheers Synge
May 2018
11:16am, 30 May 2018
8,366 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
My in-laws (in their 80s) used Coast to Coast Packhorse - no problems.
May 2018
1:09pm, 30 May 2018
16,147 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Friends used porterage for the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way, and it worked fine. When I searched for the Dales High Way yesterday, most of the results were either organised tours with porterage or baggage services.
May 2018
4:23pm, 30 May 2018
23,884 posts
  •  
HellsBells
We're looking at Sherpavan for the coast to coast next year
May 2018
5:48pm, 30 May 2018
6,644 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Thinking of using a service like this for walking the West highland Way next year. Will watch this thread with interest :)
May 2018
6:31pm, 30 May 2018
9,420 posts
  •  
Badger
Ditto.
May 2018
6:37pm, 30 May 2018
27,922 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Or maybe just Sherpas? That would be cool 😎
Jul 2018
9:30pm, 23 Jul 2018
25,003 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
McGoohan - apologies for the slow follow up. I saw one of the Coast to Coast group today. She thinks the company was actually called "Sherpa" (but it might have been "Contour") and the service worked really well.

The group had booked all their own B&B stops in advance and simply gave a list of addresses and dates to the company. The company charged £7 per bag per day and all bags were safely delivered to the next destination each day. On one or two occasions, they had to wait for the bags to arrive in the late afternoon and so had to wait for showers and change of clothes etc, but this was only on one or two days.

There are strict weight limits; some overseas walkers tried to add souvenirs and extras as they went along and these may have been refused or surcharged.

Overall, very positive feedback. If you want me to double check the name, let me know.

We talked about the service. This is offered right along the Coast to Coast and must be quite a mammoth exercise in logistics. On some days, they saw a minibus stuffed full with bags doing the collections. Consider how many overnight accommodation locations there must be in how many separate settlements along the way!

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Obviously I'm an experienced hiker and we always carry all our stuff with us at all times (incl...