Sheffield running locations

1 watcher
Nov 2016
7:48pm, 13 Nov 2016
681 posts
  •  
loki
Hello. Anyone know their way round the Steel City?

I'm looking for a location for some speedwork while I'm in Sheffield. It needs to be at least half a mile long, ideally no side streets or interruptions, flattish (I know), decent surface, lights for running in the evening and ideally within 1-2 miles of Sheffield city centre, although I might consider a shortish drive to somewhere really good.

The last few months I've been mostly doing longer runs and hills, and lots of my runs have been on unpredictable surfaces, so when I did parkrun last week I was more than a minute off my PB. I think some quicker sessions are required where I can concentrate on pace and technique - but I have so far been completely unsuccessful in identifying a suitable location. Funny enough, finding hilly runs is no bother at all.

Any suggestions much appreciated. I expect some compromises might be required so it doesn't have to be a perfect fit to be helpful...
Nov 2016
6:52am, 14 Nov 2016
7,701 posts
  •  
Ness
My husband grew up in Sheffield. He says there is a stretch of Ecclesfield Road that goes through Woolley Woods which has a mile stretch that is about the flattest you'll find. There used to be a recreation ground there but it is a long time since he's trained there. (He did the sheffield mara in the early 80s and used it for training then).
Nov 2016
5:24pm, 14 Nov 2016
682 posts
  •  
loki
Thanks Ness (and Mr Ness). That sounds good, will check it out.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by loki
Hello. Anyone know their way round the Steel City?

I'm looking for a location for some speedwor...