Sheffield half

30 watchers
Apr 2014
9:36pm, 8 Apr 2014
6,613 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I have run a small local half 3 times where there is no water stop. It passed near to my house and my son provided a drink for me, but the other twice I managed without.....soup and cake at the end made up for the water
Apr 2014
9:38pm, 8 Apr 2014
8,416 posts
  •  
colettedeann
i dont take a drink when i go out for a 13+ mile run - but i suppose pace is different - and am not bound by any health and safety rules
Apr 2014
9:52pm, 8 Apr 2014
1,114 posts
  •  
Longwayround
The Sale of Goods Act does not apply here because no goods are sold. However, terms and conditions that refuse refunds in the event of incompetence could easily be considered unfair in a court of law and the sums here are low enough that I'd be taking them to the small claims court.
Apr 2014
9:56pm, 8 Apr 2014
15,711 posts
  •  
DeeGee
What permit does your small local half run under, baz?
Apr 2014
10:29pm, 8 Apr 2014
3,643 posts
  •  
WildeRover
There's been a lot of talk of "health and safety" about this etc, but it is probably worth quoting the UK Athletics rule on this:

RULE 211 REFRESHMENTS
(1) In full Marathons and longer races, Promoters must supply drinks to cater for the entire field at a minimum of every 5km throughout the race.
(2) In races of 10km and above Promoters must supply drinks at intervals of at least 5km.
(3) In races of less than 10km, drinks may be provided by the Promoter.
(4) A Promoter must provide additional drink stations on the advice of the Race Medical Officer.
(5) A Promoter should provide drinks for the entire field at the finish.

(personally I think the wording "at least" should be "at most", but there you go)

So it's all well and good people saying that they would have run 13+ miles without water, but UKA rules require water stations every 5km. Now admittedly, I have run a fair few races that have stretched the 5km interval a bit, but that's the actual rule on the books.
Apr 2014
10:58pm, 8 Apr 2014
620 posts
  •  
Spleen
I can understand why Water Direct waited before confirming publicly that Sheffield Half didn't pay them. They must have spent all of yesterday combing through their bank statements making damn sure that the organisers hadn't paid them and they'd missed it, or that they hadn't given them the wrong account details, before going public.

Absolute joke. February is far too late to start ringing water suppliers to ask them for a quote. They had a whole year to prepare and it should have been sorted well before then. And it should have been double- and triple-checked weeks before the event went ahead. This is a for-profit company we're talking about, not a bunch of running club volunteers doing this in their spare time.
Apr 2014
11:22pm, 8 Apr 2014
14,256 posts
  •  
Meglet
WR, I agree with you on the wording, though I took it to mean 'no more than 5km' before I read your sentence!
Apr 2014
5:32am, 9 Apr 2014
385 posts
  •  
Dodgem
The bloke who always hands out the beer at mile 10 of the Great North Run is better organised. He's not let me down yet.
May 2014
11:33pm, 4 May 2014
650 posts
  •  
Da Big Guy
What's the latest.

If a refund is not forthcoming,what's to stop me asking for £30 for a race I only pretend to organise then call off at the last minute?
May 2014
8:08am, 5 May 2014
455 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
Fraud law, mostly. But if you do organise it and there's a genuine reason to cancel, even one that people with internets disagree with, then you don't have to refund money that's been legitimately spent on the organisation.

About This Thread

Maintained by gribb0
Cancelled at last minute due to lack of water - oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-y...