Sheffield half

30 watchers
Apr 2014
8:25pm, 8 Apr 2014
3,820 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
As a (paranoid) person who for 5 years organised an all-day music festival with about 200 attendees, I would always put in a confirmation call to the suppliers (beer, stage, PA, the bands themselves, portaloos etc) a few days before just for my own peace of mind.

Expecting a refund... jeez, some people must have too much time on their hands!
Apr 2014
8:27pm, 8 Apr 2014
6,609 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
TMW - If I paid for an event that didnt go ahead at the decision of the organisers ,I would want a refund - they should have insurance.

Some years ago I paid for the ODI ,Scotland v Australia.....not a ball bowled - took months but Insurance returned 90% of the ticket price.
Apr 2014
8:39pm, 8 Apr 2014
2,565 posts
  •  
phôôk
I'd expect a refund if an event was organised by a company, but not if it was organised by a club.
SPR
Apr 2014
8:39pm, 8 Apr 2014
19,192 posts
  •  
SPR
Doesn't the sale of goods act apply? If not, why? And if it does apply, surely a cancellation by the organisers must mean a refund?
Apr 2014
8:42pm, 8 Apr 2014
7,766 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I don't think you can insure yourself against your own incompetence
Apr 2014
8:53pm, 8 Apr 2014
6,611 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
fair point
Apr 2014
8:54pm, 8 Apr 2014
6,612 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
how did the SCU get insurance covering rain in Scotland in May ?
Apr 2014
9:11pm, 8 Apr 2014
638 posts
  •  
Pikelet
I ran, got my medal and t-shirt. Chip times are now published. I don't expect to get a refund because I chose to run. It would also be difficult to refund those who chose not to run or were not allowed to because how would the organisers know who just didn't turn up on the day? If they had succeeded in stopping us from running I would have expected at least a free entry to next year's race. Another small local club organised race (Clowne Half Marathon) was cancelled a couple of years ago because of the icy conditions, all entrants were offered a free entry the following year, I doubt very much Sheff Half would have offered this.
Apr 2014
9:17pm, 8 Apr 2014
14,247 posts
  •  
Meglet
sorry if I got it wrong about BM, I didn't enter that year, it was from memory
Apr 2014
9:33pm, 8 Apr 2014
15,708 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I entered a marathon a while back. The organiser failed on the day in the most elementary task of providing a course of the correct distance. His response was to release a statement blaming "Health and safety" and then to run away.

I entered a 24 hour race last month. That was cancelled at short notice, no reason was given but I suspect the landowner withdrew consent. Despite many costs that had already been incurred, we were all given a full refund and the organisers of a similar race in a similar location offered us all reduced price entry.

At least Sheffield are communicating with the runners, but I wouldn't expect to see any money back. It's a difficult one to call. I'd be happy nowadays running 13.1 miles without water, but I wouldn't have been in 2007 when I ran my first HM.

About This Thread

Maintained by gribb0
Cancelled at last minute due to lack of water - oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-y...