Shed gyms - Any experience?

4 watchers
Sep 2017
5:31pm, 23 Sep 2017
31,693 posts
  •  
Nellers
Musing on getting a bigger shed so I can put my weights, exercise mat and turbo-trainer out there and avoid causing a ruck with Mrs N whenever I do anything in what is laughing;y described as our "dining room" (last used for dining on Xmas day).

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of set-up? Any pitfalls/advice/requirements I should be aware of when investigating?
Sep 2017
6:44pm, 23 Sep 2017
1,836 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
No experience, but shed flooring is often flimsy. Reinforcement with something might be recommended.

Also, you will generate moisture. So consider how you will remove it to combat condensation in cold weather. Ventilation and insulation probably needed.
Sep 2017
7:05pm, 23 Sep 2017
10,871 posts
  •  
richmac
^^ second that, board over the shed floor with ply, 10mm + thick

Also this sort of thing on top

amazon.co.uk

And you can use the left over ply to make weight stands

Also big lock so OH does not pile actual shed things in shed ;-)
Sep 2017
7:27pm, 23 Sep 2017
31,694 posts
  •  
Nellers
We'd have to have a concrete foundation for the shed. I was thinking I'd see if I could avoid a wooden floor going over it and just put the rubber mat things down.

Love the idea of a big lock though, Rich!:-)
Sep 2017
7:30pm, 23 Sep 2017
3,132 posts
  •  
Cyclops
OH has a shed gym. He has the ordinary shed floor with rubber matting on it. And lots of locks. It gets very hot in summer and cold in winter.
Sep 2017
7:46pm, 23 Sep 2017
8,540 posts
  •  
Ness
Hi, Nellers. Mr Ness and I have set up our own mini gym in our conservatory. Mr Ness does quite heavy lifting in there so we've put rubber matting down to protect the tiles. The electronics in the treadmill sometimes play up if the room is too humid. We're thinking about getting an air conditioning unit in there to help with that.
Sep 2017
7:52pm, 23 Sep 2017
31,695 posts
  •  
Nellers
I don't do very heavy weights and don't think I will start. I'm mostly turbo-training so I'll need power for a laptop and fan.

I'm planning to get a shed with several opening windows for ventilation. Not sure what I'll do about insulation for the winter. Hadn't thought of it as an issue as I get very hot on the turbo BUT if it gets very humid in there while still cold it won't do the laptop much good.

Hmmmm. Plenty to think about.
Sep 2017
9:25pm, 23 Sep 2017
37,273 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
If it's just humidity then maybe use a fan like in a bathroom? You can't cause more condensation than a shower, surely? You might struggle more when it's hot though!
Don't give Mr fleecy ideas...
Sep 2017
10:09pm, 23 Sep 2017
36,870 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
eL Bee! and I have a little gym in the garage. The floor is concrete and the equipment (treadmill, weights bench, squat rack, thing for stacking weights on, turbo/rollers when in use) rest on big black rubber mats.

It's probably cost as much as a couple of years of gym subscriptions, but we're a car drive away from any decent gyms and my working hours make getting to the gym difficult, so it earns its keep.
Sep 2017
10:20pm, 23 Sep 2017
3,133 posts
  •  
Cyclops
The turbo trainer is in the cellar. It also has rubber matting but is on a decent concrete floor. There is ventilation via the old coal hole and it has the benefit of electricity for the dvd player...

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
Musing on getting a bigger shed so I can put my weights, exercise mat and turbo-trainer out there an...