share recipes

58 watchers
Apr 2015
12:18pm, 8 Apr 2015
8,789 posts
  •  
Star
lol - I remember prepping these for my mums parties back in the late 70's/early 80's and it was tins of creamy mushroom or chicken that you bought for filling them.
Apr 2015
3:46pm, 8 Apr 2015
1,773 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I like vol au vents..... Back in the day I would make them from scratch but I was about 17 and had the time for that sort of carry on. Filled them with chicken with white sauce, sometimes I added sweetcorn or mushrooms - and I'm sitting here laughing at myself for doing it. Oh well, we live and learn!!
Apr 2015
5:56pm, 8 Apr 2015
1,406 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I loved vol au vents back in the day when we had them at family parties. I liked prawn cocktail filling.
Apr 2015
7:50pm, 8 Apr 2015
18,516 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I hate vol-au-vents - all that horrible pastry. L - I would bin it and make a couple of large tortillas.

I made the savoury flapjacks; they were good. organix.com

Used thyme as my 'erb.
Apr 2015
8:22pm, 8 Apr 2015
788 posts
  •  
Dochart
quick poll on the theory of savoury flapjacks was no overall result. I thought they sounded good and was duly elected to cook some at the weekend. Was thyme a good choice, or should I go with rosemary?
Apr 2015
8:32pm, 8 Apr 2015
18,518 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Well Dochart - thyme worked really well. Dried and not fresh. Next time, just for variety, I'll try the rosemary, then I'll try half and half. (I do have a feeling that thyme will be the best option, but it's always good to make sure.)

I also recommend a generous pinch of paprika or a smidge of chilli powder.
May 2015
11:44pm, 3 May 2015
10,046 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I made soup. It was pretty decent. Here's a recipe.

Butternut squash soup.

Half a butternut squash
Two large carrots
A medium potato
Two medium onions
1 litre veg stock (I used 2x Kallo organic veg cubes)
1 rounded tsp cumin
Vegetable oil
Salt

Peel the veg and chop chunkily. (If you have the fat end of the squash, scrape out the pulp and seeds. Apparently you can toast the seeds. I haven't yet.)

Heat the oil and sweat the veg with salt for around ten minutes (I give the onions a couple of minutes before bunging the rest in).

Add hot stock and cumin and simmer for around 25 minutes (until veg are fairly soft).

Allow to cool, then stick into a blender and zap until smooth (may need two loads).

Reheat and enjoy, especially the following day.

As it was a sunny day, I prepped the veg in the garden and stuck them into a bowl of cold water as I went. I don't think that made a difference to the soup, but I enjoyed it.
May 2015
3:33pm, 4 May 2015
18,647 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've toasted the seeds; they're still chewy unless you open them and get the green bit out, which is a right faff.
Jun 2015
9:59pm, 11 Jun 2015
1,220 posts
  •  
Fitz
I'm no cook, I had to look in a cookbook for instructions when Mrs Fitz asked me to cook some rice last week.

However, I saw this recipe on the BMF website and thought it so simple even I could do it.
britmilfit.com
So I did it today. Verdict: very tasty but I should have gone for a hotter temp or longer cooking as they came out a bit too moist.
Mar 2017
3:07pm, 3 Mar 2017
13,213 posts
  •  
Dvorak
This is weird. I made soup today and thought I would post the recipe here.

Butternut squash soup.

Zenception.

I had no idea :-o

Today's iteration was slightly different. No potato, some lentils. No cumin; instead garlic, turmeric and both hot and smoked paprikas. Fine chopped veg rather than blended soup. Seeds reserved for later toasting. Given that today's temperature outside is little above zero C, prep was not performed in the garden.

About This Thread

Maintained by pinkladykat
i thought it would be great to have a little sharing

sweet potato topped fish pie

500g sweet...