Seriously p***ed off with Great Run

7 watchers
Jan 2018
12:11am, 11 Jan 2018
10,813 posts
  •  
Girlie
Great East Anglia in Kings Lynn had to change their name to Grand East Anglia because the Great Run series threatened them.

I'm assuming PGER in Peterborough has it trademarked as I'm surprised Great Run hasn't tried a similar tactic and tried to buy the name
Jan 2018
1:20am, 11 Jan 2018
13,310 posts
  •  
Carpathius
It's things like that that keep me determined not to enter their races. A lot of my clubmates have now entered GER as the moving of our race was (in the end) not too difficult and we didn't have to bear any extra costs. Great Run apparently apologised profusely (before asking our RD to ask his 'followers' to tone down the negative social media posts!)

I still won't. I wouldn't last year and I know it made not one tiny bit of difference to Great Run or anyone else that I refused to enter but I still feel justified.
Aug 2018
5:18pm, 19 Aug 2018
3,085 posts
  •  
mr d
How are FRR feeling on this now Carp?

Asking for a friend who came back from injury to find the Coastal 10 full, but some spaces in the Race that shall not be named available.
Aug 2018
10:23pm, 19 Aug 2018
15,139 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Lots of my clubmates have entered. I think I'm probably in the minority boycotting them.
Aug 2018
10:29pm, 19 Aug 2018
15,140 posts
  •  
Carpathius
You'll see plenty of FRR supporters out too!
Aug 2018
10:58pm, 19 Aug 2018
3,086 posts
  •  
mr d
Thanks, don't feel so bad now. Haven't run since last Tuesday, hopefully I will be ok to run by midweek, otherwise I will be taking it slow.

I was speaking to a FRR runner @ PR and was thinking about joining, doubt I'd make many Tuesdays in a calendar year, but the monthly Fridays at Northgate should be easy to make.

Can't make the Jaffa Monday night 90% of the year and as they are so expensive it didn't seem worth it.
Aug 2018
12:56am, 20 Aug 2018
15,143 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Loads of members don't make club night. The track sessions at Northgate are good (and painful, my legs still hurt from the last one). Which FRR were you talking to?
Aug 2018
7:41pm, 20 Aug 2018
3,087 posts
  •  
mr d
Robin, needless to say this was last month, I said I would probably make the next Tuesday, then on the way home remembered on the way home it was my Wedding anniversary, so decided it was best to not suggest it.

Holiday and minor op since, so maybe I can make Tuesday week. Might make PR on Saturday will apologise then.
Aug 2018
9:20pm, 20 Aug 2018
15,150 posts
  •  
Carpathius
If you make parkrun come and say hello - I'll wear my Fetch vest. I can't believe I still have no idea who you are, ought to be an easy sticker collecting opportunity.
Aug 2018
11:20pm, 20 Aug 2018
3,090 posts
  •  
mr d
Will do.

I might be one of the avoidables! Actually I can't think of anyone who I avoid, just a few people who are over competitive.

If there's no one there in a Fetch top I will understand.

I was marshalling on the 28th of July just after runners come down the hill, near a mile in, after going round the old football pitch.

I haven't got a Fetch top, might have to dig out my Flitch Way top if I am running, if not I will hopefully Marshall as my eldest will run.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
Ipswich JAFFA running club have been doing a fab half marathon in the town for years.

Last year, ...