Seriously p***ed off with Great Run

7 watchers
Jan 2018
7:48pm, 6 Jan 2018
13,229 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Ipswich JAFFA running club have been doing a fab half marathon in the town for years.

Last year, everything was all secretive around the half, and it was eventually announced that Great Run was taking over and creating the Great East Run.

So far, so good. I don't like companies coming in and taking over races that are run by runners, for runners, but that's a personal peeve.

However, they changed the date from the usual weekend in September - to the date Felixstowe Road Runners were holding the Coastal 10 Mile race and have been for a few years. FRR were forced to move the Coastal 10.

Today, this statement was given to the club by Coastal 10 race director;

"Coastal 10 is scheduled for Sunday 16-Sep-18. This date was chosen because the Great East Run had informed FRR that their race was provisionally planned for 23-Sep-18. However, the GER organising team have now moved the race to the 16th without any consultation with FRR, SCAA and with little regard or care for the local grassroots running community.

To say I’m disappointed with GER is a massive understatement. FRR collaborated with GER last year to allow the staging of both races. We were working together to ensure there was not a clash this year. To be frank, GER's behaviour is appalling, they and their sponsors should be ashamed. I will be making my feelings clear to the GER Project Manager in the next few days.

(Just to be clear this a GER issue and not a JAFFA one. Based on my discussions, it appears that JAFFA no longer influences the scheduling and management of GER.)

About Coast 10, as yet, we do not have an alternative date. Another date may not be available so we may continue with the race on 16-Sep-18. Staging both runs on the same day will be financially risky for FRR. Indeed, it may not be a risk we can currently bear so we may be forced to cancel the race. This outcome would hit FRR hard as we rely on race income to support the club.

I will work on rescheduled Coastal 10 in the coming weeks. However, another date may not be possible. Please bear this in mind when considering entering GER on Monday. Thank you."

Absolute wankers. Lots of people have said "stick to the date, people will enter" but it's not as easy as that. We may not be able to close roads in two adjacent towns at once; there may not be enough traffic controllers to hire. Some people living in Ipswich will find it hard to get out of the town due to GER road closures which begin at 6am. So much to think about (and I'm not one of the committee).
Jan 2018
7:53pm, 6 Jan 2018
312 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Typical isn't it. I hope that people especially locals will vote with their feet, they mush have had provisional ok with road closures to be able to announce the date though , at least I thought you had to have had agreement before finalising dates when roads are going to be closed
Jan 2018
8:22pm, 6 Jan 2018
12,995 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Aw, but think about the poor old ex-Olympians who didn’t plan properly for their retirement and need the income from the junket that is Great *Anything* Run.

Bastards. :(
Jan 2018
8:31pm, 6 Jan 2018
7,362 posts
  •  
Snake Doctor
They did the same when they took over the Glasgow half marathon and moved it to the same date as the Kirkintilloch Half marathon. Numbers for the Kirkie half went down dramatically as a result.
Jan 2018
8:49pm, 6 Jan 2018
8,730 posts
  •  
Ness
That’s terrible! :( I’ve been determined to avoid all Great Run events. Not just because of how expensive they are but also because the hoteliers in the area take the p*ss with the price of rooms on the weekends the races are run.

If they got a monopoly on races run in this country I’d stop doing races. :(
Jan 2018
9:46pm, 6 Jan 2018
5,245 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
They screwed over Harrogate too when they pulled out of their promise to keep the Great Yorkshire Run in Harrogate on a date in July & then pulled out. Thankfully we have now reinstated our club event in July. Great Run treat local clubs with utter contempt.
Jan 2018
11:04pm, 6 Jan 2018
7,022 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I really hope FRR don't have to cancel. I certainly won't enter GER this year then out of solidarity if nothing else. And if you do go ahead on the same day I will enter.

Fingers crossed you can find a solution. That is despicable behaviour by Great Run.....
Jan 2018
11:10pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,947 posts
  •  
KimCanRun
That’s shocking. But sadly not surprising.

Local races are always far better. More enjoyable. Lot cheaper. Better sense of community. Fingers crossed things work out for you.
Jan 2018
12:21am, 7 Jan 2018
6,157 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I would never do one of their races in principle and runners who act like any entry fee is justifiable as long as people are stupid enough to pay it are not people I have any time for.
Jan 2018
12:24am, 7 Jan 2018
3,224 posts
  •  
Old Man
In times gone by the local permit sec wouldn't have issued them with a race permit due to another local race already having booked the date, now they just steam roller through. Sometimes the old ways of doing things are the best

They also have to be careful about use of name as the Great Eastern Run has being going in Peterborough for many more years, Great East Anglia Run (GEAR) in Kings Lynn is the same

The Peterborough GER organised by Peterborougn City Council work closely with the local running clubs to ensure their full support - how it should be!!

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
Ipswich JAFFA running club have been doing a fab half marathon in the town for years.

Last year, ...