sensible or wuss?

3 watchers
Oct 2012
8:03am, 15 Oct 2012
252 posts
  •  
Action Jen
After my half marathon last sunday I got a wopper of a blister, so I compeeded it and then put micropore over the top to hold it in place. This Saturday I ran for 3 miles and where the micropore was I got another blister, about 1cm from the original.

I do have very delicate skin (due to lack of collogen) and an appalling healing rate (both due to hypermobility). But I want to run and I Have a 10K next Sunday.

Am I being sensible in not running or a wuss? Can I put micropore over my entire foot? or Vaseline or something? I am worried that the vaseline will make my feet softer, which I really don't need.

Any suggestions?
Oct 2012
8:27am, 15 Oct 2012
624 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Oh dear :-( Last thing you need is a foot full of blisters - check your socks aren't rubbing as they can be worse than shoes!
Oct 2012
8:35am, 15 Oct 2012
929 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Any running missed between now and next Sunday will make little or no difference to the outcome of the 10K. So stop worrying about missing runs the rest will prob do more good than harm :-) Until then as Tarahumara said it's probably a sock thing ( always is when I've had a blister ) if your shoes are big enough wear thick tighter fitting socks or if no thick socks wear two thinner pairs ( I did this with a blister that refused to heal on the back of my foot where the heel tab on my shoes caught ) Tbh if it's comfortable you can put tape or even a bit of tubigrip over your whole foot just experiment until you find something that stops it rubbing.
Oct 2012
8:37am, 15 Oct 2012
253 posts
  •  
Action Jen
They are the same socks as I have work for ages, so they shouldn't rub! at least in theory anyway, I know what casued the first blister and the second blister was caused by the microtape, which quite frankly is pathetic!
Oct 2012
8:42am, 15 Oct 2012
930 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Ah I see - not pathetic. Steer clear of the tape then. See if the compeed stays put without it.
Oct 2012
8:48am, 15 Oct 2012
254 posts
  •  
Action Jen
nooo - the compeed doesn't stay put without the micopore, no matter how I tried to put it on. Annoying things...... I am allergic to the traditional plaster so I can't stick the compeed on with those either.

Like I said, very delicate skin!
Oct 2012
8:54am, 15 Oct 2012
14,517 posts
  •  
Stumpy
Compeed is crap. It's always caused worse blisters for me than the ones I originally covered with it! Hmm if allergic to normal ones that's not great. There are some 'invisible' plasters from savlon I think. I've used them on things and nothing budges them! And they didn't irritate. Worth a go?
Oct 2012
9:04am, 15 Oct 2012
540 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
New socks? Could be the ones you have worn for ages are getting a bit ropey and threadbare?
Oct 2012
10:03am, 15 Oct 2012
4,797 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
I CAnoeing we use Electrical tape to hold dressings in place. I wouldn't want to runa 10k in ith though, but it might help in a resting week.
Oct 2012
10:14am, 15 Oct 2012
7,009 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Do some running on something to toughen up your feet. I always take the opportunity to run barefoot on sandy beaches on holiday. Often wondered if keeping some old running shoes with a bit of sand in them (and no socks) for short training runs would help make my feet tougher. I'll give it a try one day.

I deliberately keep some rough old socks for training. Then wear twin-skin socks for races.

Blisters are a complete bugger and can wreck what would have been a great race.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
After my half marathon last sunday I got a wopper of a blister, so I compeeded it and then put micro...