Selfies

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:18pm, 30 Mar 2016
11,394 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Not taken one myself, been in one that someone else has taken.

Taking a selfie with someone who is wearing a suicide belt, brave or stupid?
Mar 2016
1:28pm, 30 Mar 2016
11,104 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
it did seem a little foolish to me. I can't imagine how scary it would be being in the hostage situation and if I was, I'm not sure taking 'selfies' would be top of my priorities...
Mar 2016
1:28pm, 30 Mar 2016
37,646 posts
  •  
swittle
Not a selfie, is it? Someone else took it. :)
Mar 2016
2:17pm, 30 Mar 2016
11,395 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I thought it was funny when I saw photo but by then we all knew the bomb was a fake and everyone was safe if rather inconvenienced.
Mar 2016
2:31pm, 30 Mar 2016
1,367 posts
  •  
Spleen
Well it's certainly not brave. Attacking a nutter with a gun or a knife is brave as it might save lives. (Though not in this case as if the suicide vest had been real, trying to be a hero would probably get everyone killed.) Asking them for a selfie accomplishes nothing.

I'm not going to describe it as stupid because that would be totally po-faced. No harm was done and the risk paid off, he'll be boring his grandchildren with that photo for the rest of his life. But most religious fanatics do not have a sense of humour, and approaching a paranoid nutcase in a high-pressure situation for a selfie is not a great idea as he might get the wrong end of the stick, or if he gets the right end he might assume it's some kind of trap.

And as Swittle said, it's not a selfie, neither of them are holding the camera. So none of the above :-)
Mar 2016
7:55pm, 30 Mar 2016
1,626 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Is there a definitive account of when and why the photo was taken?
Mar 2016
8:18pm, 30 Mar 2016
6,721 posts
  •  
Duchess
"Hey did you remember to record your suicide-of-a-glorious-martyr video? No? How about a selfie instead, so everyone will know who the faithful-servant-of-the-glorious-god was?"
Mar 2016
10:44pm, 30 Mar 2016
20,497 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Obviously guy is a major dickhead.
But
If I was going to get blown up by a man who looked like he had been waiting too long at the doctors I would want the world to see how boring evil can be. No glamour in terrorism. Just losers.
Mar 2016
11:23am, 31 Mar 2016
11,396 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I would have thought getting everyone's phone off them would be a good tactic when hijacking a plane, but what do I know.
Mar 2016
11:33am, 31 Mar 2016
9,229 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
It's just weird. I guess you can do strange things under stress. It's the beaming smile that is odd - he's saying it was about scoping the guy but his expression just looks like he thinks it would cool on FB.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ultracat
Not taken one myself, been in one that someone else has taken.

Taking a selfie with someone who i...