2 watchers
Mar 2015
4:13pm, 13 Mar 2015
5 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
Happy Friday Afternoon - YAAAAAY

Here's a thing....

I've been looking at my splits and notice that I always flag on my second mile. ALWAYS.

WTF is that about? Is it a thing? Does anyone have any tips to combat it?

Any advice or ideas will be very welcome.

Cheers

Lu
Mar 2015
4:18pm, 13 Mar 2015
151 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I also slow on Km 6 and 7 in a 10K, I think for me it's a mental thing ie only over half way, not near enough to the end yet. In Km 8 I can visualise the finishing tape.

How far are you running? Do you always start too quick? Does your pace recover in line with the first mile in mile 3?

CW
Mar 2015
4:24pm, 13 Mar 2015
7 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
I run 5k about 4 lunch breaks a week. And the 3rd mile is usually a very similar pace to the first. 2nd though is considerably slower. Probably is a mental thing you're right.

Have you found any thing that helps you when you hit 6/7k?
Ted
Mar 2015
4:26pm, 13 Mar 2015
13,793 posts
  •  
Ted
Lucy, it could just be that you got into a comfort zone in your run. For instance I find that in a race my mind can wander in the 2nd half and my 2nd last mile* can be the slowest in the race as I think about the finish rather than just getting on with it.

Tip: It's a mental game, for more reasons than one.

*or Km if that is your interval.
Mar 2015
5:03pm, 13 Mar 2015
8 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
I need to find a way to trick my brain then I think...
Mar 2015
6:47pm, 13 Mar 2015
152 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
The brain likes incentives. If you are gong for a PB then being on pace for a new PB really helps. Also chasing people or being paced helps me. Try starting a bit slower then getting progressively quicker will also help

CW
Mar 2015
2:22pm, 16 Mar 2015
9 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
Oh thanks CW.

I put my head down today and focused my efforts on the first two miles telling myself I could ease off at the end, it made the second mile a bit faster than usual.

I think it's going to be a case of trying lots of different ways of thinking and visualising so I can find what works for me.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Happy Friday Afternoon - YAAAAAY

Here's a thing....

I've been looking at my splits and notic...