Sea swim advice please?

1 watcher
Jul 2013
8:56am, 3 Jul 2013
53 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
Any sea swim advice would be good really! But specifically re T1 does anyone ever wash their feet??? I've got. Half iron man coming up with a sea swim and don't want to spend the next 5 hours with sand and salt in my shoes!
Also, my event has an Australian exit so you come out after a lap, run up the beach then back into the water. I'm rubbish at getting out of the water and get flustered when there are spectators watching and can see this going terribly wrong. Any tips on the most efficient way of getting in and out of the sea would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Jul 2013
9:23am, 3 Jul 2013
5,925 posts
  •  
simbil
I wouldn't worry too much about what other people do in T1, if you want to wash your feet, go for it.

I'd expect a quick dust off with a towel would probably be a bit more time efficient, but after my last 9 minute T1, I'm not sure I'm qualified to talk about time efficiency.

For any water exit, I swim until my hands ground and then get up. For entry, try and keep your momentum up until knee deep and then take a shallow dive if safe to. Otherwise, wade - it's only going to cost a few seconds.

Spectators are generally really friendly - if you wobble or fall over just carry on with a smile and you'll get loads of encouragement.

Enjoy your event :)
Jul 2013
12:28pm, 3 Jul 2013
56 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
Thank you. I think I just need a bit more practice in choppy water as its normally pretty choppy up at Bamburgh where my tri is. 9mins in T1 - that's pretty impressive! Washing up bowl full of hot soapy water for me then i think. I'd rather spend that extra minute intransition than have blisters. You're right, who cares what everyone else does!!!
Jul 2013
12:51pm, 3 Jul 2013
5,926 posts
  •  
simbil
Might be worth asking here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18301 as I'm sure someone will have done Bamburgh and be able to comment on sandy feet.
Not sure about the logistics of getting hot soapy water into T1? You'll need to check that out! Transition areas are usually secure (athlete only) and may not have running water. Again, someone who has done this one would be better able to advise.
Either way, I imagine you will be able to stash a sports bottle of water and use it to rinse off. But if the sand is dry I reckon a dusting off with a towel would do the job well enough and give you less logistics to bother about on race day.
Jul 2013
2:24pm, 3 Jul 2013
57 posts
  •  
SlowSteph!
Thank you. I'm going up in the motorhome so have hot water facilities near by! I was just joking though, but I might actually take a washing up bowl full of clean water to stick my feet in. Thanks for the help.
Jul 2013
6:35am, 8 Jul 2013
191 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
I've only done up to Oly distance from a beach. I've just had a towel on the floor and shuffled my feet on it as I put on my helmet (quite a lot comes off with the wetsuit anyway), and then finished with a quick rub over the top of my feet. I had a big 2 litre bottle of water in the box (cap off) ready to use if needed.
I took the view that for that distance a bit of sand left wouldn't be too bad, and I didn't really notice it. Obviously a middle distance tri leaves you a longer time for it to bother you.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SlowSteph!
Any sea swim advice would be good really! But specifically re T1 does anyone ever wash their feet???...