A very informative article about the wide range of symptoms caused by Covid-19:

apple.news
May 2020
6:55pm, 23 May 2020
19,791 posts
  •  
Dvorak
The black hole of Uber londonreconnections.com

or, Schrödinger's cab firm, as the article title puts it.

Uber rides currently have no VAT component, as the individual drivers do not exceed the VAT threshold. If however Uber is considered to be employing the drivers, it faces a potential £1.1 BILLION tax liability (FT estimate).

Coincidentally, I saw a "let's thank Uber drivers" ad on tv shortly before reading the linked article.
May 2020
7:20pm, 23 May 2020
50,110 posts
  •  
GlennR
That’s interesting, perhaps especially to an accountant. I can’t square the need to avoid VAT registration with the known fact that Uber operates at a loss, because the reclaimable VAT on costs ought to exceed that on sales. If I were a taxi driver I would voluntarily register for VAT even if below the threshold so I could reclaim the tax on fuel and maintenance costs.

My main objection to Uber is not its actual model, but that it is intentionally operating at a loss to drive competitors from the market, with the aim of pushing up fares once it has more of a monopoly.
May 2020
7:35pm, 23 May 2020
19,792 posts
  •  
Dvorak
And leading on from that, "Counterfeit Capitalism", "the increasingly common tendency of capital markets to finance loss-making companies", predicated at least in part on the point you made above, in another part on a beluef in probably non-existent future economies of scale and also on just good old-fashioned "gull schemes.

mattstoller.substack.com
May 2020
10:39pm, 23 May 2020
12,587 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
They've already lost similar cases in multiple courts in the UK and indeed around Europe (the article you linked to is from 2019). Their appeal to the supreme court is due to be heard in July.

It's not just VAT - they'll potentially owe holiday pay, sick pay, pension auto-enrolment and national minimum wage to all of their drivers for the past however many years. I think they made a £1.5 billion provision in the last accounts already.
May 2020
3:04pm, 24 May 2020
50,126 posts
  •  
GlennR
It may already be irrelevant anyway:

theregister.co.uk
May 2020
9:20pm, 24 May 2020
30,267 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
100,000+ daily flights tracked for the first time since March 22nd flightradar24.com
May 2020
9:45pm, 24 May 2020
50,138 posts
  •  
GlennR
Wow.

This is something that partially answers the question I raised in my blog about post-virus exercise:

cnet.com
May 2020
8:39pm, 25 May 2020
50,174 posts
  •  
GlennR
Ancient anchovies had fearsome teeth
Huge sabre-toothed anchovies may have evolved because the asteroid thought to have killed the dinosaurs also wiped out many marine predators. This provided an opportunity for the metre-long anchovies to take their place (Royal Society Open Science, doi.org/dvqj).
May 2020
8:40pm, 25 May 2020
50,175 posts
  •  
GlennR
royalsocietypublishing.org

About This Thread

Maintained by GlennR
I often make notes when reading of things that I'd like to come back to later on, perhaps to su...

Hummus recipe:

Proper hummus is served with a drizzle of olive oil, rather than oil being a significant ingredient in its own right. This is what should go in it:

• 1½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, mashed
• ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
• Approximately 2-4 tablespoons room-temperature water or aquafaba, or more if needed
• Optional garnishes: extra virgin olive oil, sumac or paprika, finely chopped parsley or other herbs, whole chickpeas

This particular recipe from thymeandtoast.com but it’s typical of the Middle Eastern way of making it.