GlennR
Invasive carp and crayfish:

cam.ac.uk
Oct 2021
3:31pm, 19 Oct 2021
34,445 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
The lake I sometimes swim in in the Cotswolds used never to have the blasted American crayfish but they've appeared in the past two years :-( If I were the owner of the lake I would be fishing them out and cooking them as apparently they are quite edible and if you catch them you're not allowed to put them back in.
Oct 2021
4:52pm, 19 Oct 2021
59,151 posts
  •  
GlennR
“Crop-counting drone tech tested on Cambridgeshire orchard”.

bbc.co.uk
Oct 2021
4:53pm, 19 Oct 2021
31,976 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
When I worked in Swindon I used to help a guy put traps out in the nearby streams, and rivers. We used to go out twice a week, bring them back, he would keep them in a clean tank of water at home, feed them and Cook them up for lunch once in a while payment was an occasional crayfish roll.
Oct 2021
5:19pm, 19 Oct 2021
29,196 posts
  •  
macca 53
American crayfish are plentiful in the Skerne (and thus, by implication, the Tees)
Oct 2021
9:51pm, 19 Oct 2021
59,158 posts
  •  
GlennR
“Three possibilities: there’s a bruise indicating he’s been banged on the head; more bruises on the neck indicating that someone tried to strangle him; but I’ve got a feeling he’s actually been drowned. In gazpacho.”
Oct 2021
10:55am, 21 Oct 2021
59,186 posts
  •  
GlennR
“Certainly he [Michelangelo] approached his work in the Sistine Chapel with almost monastic devotion. Believing he was an instrument of divine will, he went without food and sleep for hours on end and took little interest in his appearance.

His stockings were made of dog skin, a common source of cheap leather, and he wore the same pair for several months - his skin peeling away with the cloth when he finally removed them.“
Oct 2021
3:11pm, 21 Oct 2021
59,190 posts
  •  
GlennR
“Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Legally People, Court Rules”:

gizmodo.com
Oct 2021
3:20pm, 21 Oct 2021
59,191 posts
  •  
GlennR
“US surgeons test pig kidney transplant in a human”:

bbc.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by GlennR
I often make notes when reading of things that I'd like to come back to later on, perhaps to su...

Hummus recipe:

Proper hummus is served with a drizzle of olive oil, rather than oil being a significant ingredient in its own right. This is what should go in it:

• 1½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, mashed
• ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
• Approximately 2-4 tablespoons room-temperature water or aquafaba, or more if needed
• Optional garnishes: extra virgin olive oil, sumac or paprika, finely chopped parsley or other herbs, whole chickpeas

This particular recipe from thymeandtoast.com but it’s typical of the Middle Eastern way of making it.