Scrapbook

38 watchers
Sep 2020
4:03pm, 30 Sep 2020
52,882 posts
  •  
GlennR
That's a really interesting thought experiment. Do snakes actually have an appreciation of flavour, and if so how does it overlap with taste? To take the haggis example, humans can appreciate the flavour of one without having to chew it first.

Hummus comes to mind as well.
Oct 2020
9:05am, 1 Oct 2020
122,919 posts
  •  
GregP
Yoga tattoos are a political minefield.

yogajournal.com

spiralnature.com

etc
Oct 2020
9:26am, 1 Oct 2020
28,392 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Do I chew Haggis?

Been a while since I had one.

Do snakes appreciate the flavour of a whole rat?
Oct 2020
11:04am, 1 Oct 2020
52,903 posts
  •  
GlennR
Would they want to?
Oct 2020
1:13pm, 1 Oct 2020
20,895 posts
  •  
Dvorak
There was a suggestion that the snakes would do all their tasting before actually eating: they would have maybe a special fork or such for opening up the food and then would stick their tongues in for a good rummage.

Of course, as Glenn suggested, the intelligent snakes might not actually like the taste of rat: and if it was no longer a necessity would eat something else. Quails' eggs topped with caviar was suggested as a treat they might particularly enjoy.
Oct 2020
3:20pm, 1 Oct 2020
52,909 posts
  •  
GlennR
Domino's ham and pineapple pizza is, for humans, the equivalent of a rat for a snake.
Oct 2020
4:15pm, 1 Oct 2020
52,912 posts
  •  
GlennR
Rare bone-eating 'bearded vulture' spotted in Norfolk bbc.co.uk
Oct 2020
4:20pm, 1 Oct 2020
28,395 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Is this Vigo? The vulture that's been hanging about in the Peak District all summer, he flew South from Crowden a week or two ago!
Oct 2020
4:22pm, 1 Oct 2020
28,396 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I just read it, yes it is, wandered up to the Peaks my arse, he got up here pronto overt he course of a week or so (through Leicester and Matlock), soon he'll bugger off the Alps where he was born...
Oct 2020
9:04am, 2 Oct 2020
122,949 posts
  •  
GregP
“The newness of remote working has worn off for people and settled into fatigue,” said Bob Nowak, a property manager at JLL who oversees 20 million square feet of offices for different landlords. “People want to return to their working business centers and collaborative cultures as quick as they can.”

latimes.com

About This Thread

Maintained by GlennR
I often make notes when reading of things that I'd like to come back to later on, perhaps to su...

Hummus recipe:

Proper hummus is served with a drizzle of olive oil, rather than oil being a significant ingredient in its own right. This is what should go in it:

• 1½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, mashed
• ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
• Approximately 2-4 tablespoons room-temperature water or aquafaba, or more if needed
• Optional garnishes: extra virgin olive oil, sumac or paprika, finely chopped parsley or other herbs, whole chickpeas

This particular recipe from thymeandtoast.com but it’s typical of the Middle Eastern way of making it.