School Running Clubs - Advice

3 watchers
May 2013
10:25am, 30 May 2013
71 posts
  •  
simeyk
Hello,

I have been asked to set up a running club at my primary school. Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing and could give me some advice on the steps they took and an idea of the methods that they used?

Sorry it is a bit general, but it is early days and I want to get it right. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Si
May 2013
10:28am, 30 May 2013
931 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Nope, but I am going to lurk. It is something I have considered starting with my high school students.
I am, however, not a PE teacher, or a coach. Just a runner. So I am interested to hear what people think.
May 2013
11:14am, 30 May 2013
7,064 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Sorry if this sounds negative, but the running will be the easier bit. Complying with the child protection requirements will be the hardest part
May 2013
11:34am, 30 May 2013
281 posts
  •  
RobertoM
I am training to be a primary teacher, and I plan to do some coaching badges before I qualify. There is a Children's coaching course run by UKA however, you also have to have done the Coaching assistant award before you can do that. The coaching assitant isnt assessed, and takes 2 days. The childrens coaching has 3 contact days over the space of 8 weeks and there are 3 assessment parts. However the coaching assistant costs 1£190 (£145 for an england athletics club member) and the chidlrens coaching costs £365 (£325 for a club member)
May 2013
11:39am, 30 May 2013
5,212 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
You could do a lot worse than contacting England Athletics (I assume you live there). They have courses and all sorts of advice available.

You should also probably look into LTAD (Long Term Athletic Development) for youngsters. They will be very early on the pathway (at the FUNdamentals stage if they are Early primary and Learning to Train if they are Late primary. It would be good to get started in the right direction. There's probably specific running literature (I know there is for swimming). There's a good explanation about LTAD on the Kiwi Athletics site, here: coaching.athletics.org.nz
Jun 2013
11:12am, 1 Jun 2013
72 posts
  •  
simeyk
Cheers all,

Pronator: I am starting a job as a Primary school teacher, so CRB is already taken care of, but it is a fair point for people to think about.

Roberto and Angus: Cheers, will look into it straight away.

Much appreciated.
Jun 2013
11:30am, 1 Jun 2013
9,296 posts
  •  
HowFar?
This is well worth looking at

academy.britishathletics.org.uk
Jun 2013
11:34am, 1 Jun 2013
454 posts
  •  
Craig_
Maybe worth a look at this - http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53730&page=1

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by simeyk
Hello,

I have been asked to set up a running club at my primary school. Has anyone got any experi...