Scam emails etc

11 watchers
Nov 2021
2:42pm, 17 Nov 2021
510 posts
  •  
Shades
NE - I don't think I have that facility. I still get the odd spam email but to my knowledge my ISP have never stopped legitimate emails. I've never been able to use the excuse that I didn't get the email. 😉

Sometimes if I view my emails via webmail I will see a spam email but when I go to my Outlook on my PC the spam email has disappeared.
Nov 2021
2:57pm, 17 Nov 2021
8,182 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I'm not really sure of my facts here, but I think a lot of ISPs don't - and the spam filters are so good at trapping them that there's really not a lot to worry about. My ISP is more aimed at the business community nowadays, it wasn't always this way (I've had my email address for about 26 years) and you rarely see people using it purely for email as they usually host custom domains. I pay a nominal sum per year just for the email hosting and access to the mail server.

Just thinking aloud - if you see the occasional spam message in WebMail, it could be that it's Outlook filtering out the spam rather than the ISP itself.
Nov 2021
3:41pm, 17 Nov 2021
16,065 posts
  •  
larkim
I use Gmail's spam filtering, which seems to work pretty effectively. I also use the fact that Gmail allows you to tinker with your email address so that in the event of your email address leaking out or getting spam you can potentially identify the source.

Gmail ignores full stops in email addresses (so fetch.everyone@gmail.com would arrive at the same place as fetcheveryone@gmail.com or indeed f.etcheveryone@gmail.com) and you can also add in a clause before the @ on gmail. So fetch.everyone+ronhill@gmail.com would still come to fetcheveryone@gmail.com's inbox but if Ron Hill had a data breach and / or started sending a lot of spam you could filter for it easily.
Nov 2021
4:23pm, 17 Nov 2021
511 posts
  •  
Shades
NE - my ISP is also predominantly for the business community too and I've had my email address for nearly 20 years. Only negative is that if I send an email to a Gmail address it's delayed as Gmail doesn't like my domain name. Also my ISP won't let me keep my email address if I leave. However they have recently set up a domestic part of their business and I've been moved to that part of the company so we'll see. But I'm happy with my ISP, great service and competitively priced.

I'm not sure Outlook would filter out the spam as not my ISP and I don't use outlook.com for my email address., I don't know.

As I have my own domain it doesn't matter if someone sends me an email spelling my name incorrectly I still get it.
Nov 2021
4:52pm, 17 Nov 2021
40,230 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't think Amazon will change their stance on Visa. They are trying to promote their own payment vehicles. Visa and Mastercard are getting squeezed by big retail players. Visa first because they charge more.

Spam filters in my Yahoo email are funny. Trap loads but then let through something obviously dodgy to human eye. :-) G
Nov 2021
6:15pm, 26 Nov 2021
8,221 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I got a good one today: :-)

--
Beneficiary,

WE ARE HAPPY TO INFORM YOU. THAT WE HAVE FOUND OUT THAT YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR PAYMENT DUE TO YOUR LACK OF CO-OPERATION AND NOT FULFILLING THE OBLIGATION GIVING TO YOU IN RESPECT TO YOUR CONTRACT PAYMENT. WE HAVE NEGOTIATED WITH THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE HAS INSTRUCTED OFFICE TO GO AHEAD AND RELEASE YOUR MONEY. THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT THE REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED ON YOUR BEHALF TO THE OFFICE OF THE CENTRAL BANK MANAGEMENT HERE.

The only option we have now is to open WESTERN UNION online banking for you and credit athlete One Million Dollars but the maximum amount you will be able to be transferred every week is $100,000.00 as reflected in our transfer system daily until the funds is completely transferred. This special arrangement is being used to avoid all scrupulous demands by both the states and federal authorities that have previously delayed your payment till date; we shall need your maximum co-operation to ensure that strictness and confidence is maintained to avoid any further delays.

We believed that with this $1Million Dollars all the problems regarding your transaction will be solved.

This is want we need to create an online bank account for you

First Name/
Surname/
Date of Birth/
Your email address/
Any Password that you want to use to credit/ address/ your phone number/ City/

Thanks
Yours in service
Western Union Department
Nov 2021
2:20pm, 27 Nov 2021
14,103 posts
  •  
mulbs
You are rich!!!!
8 Mar
9:24pm, 8 Mar 2024
10,248 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I am Mrs. Teresa Pereda, 65 years old, deaf and a widow. I was married to the late Engr Keith Howard Pereda ,who worked with Shell Development Company in London for Twenty-Six years before he died in the year 2007 after a brief illness that lasted only five days.

When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of US$30 Million in a firm here. Following my ill health(Cancer of the Lungs), my Doctor told me that I may not live longer than required due to my health condition. I am looking forward to seeing someone who can use this money in charitable works.

More details will be made known to you upon your response.

Please get back to me via my private Email:( tpereda35@gmail.com )here for further directives.

May God Bless You.
Mrs. Teresa Pereda

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Just had a very realistic one pretending to be EE and saying that my payment hadn't gone through because my card details had expired (which coincidentally, they just had). Took me a mo to remember that I paid by direct debit, and I'm normally more alert than that.

Thought I'd just start an alert thread in case it (and anything else anyone else encounters) saves someone falling victim to it.