Saving for 'Best'? DON'T!

34 watchers
Oct 2022
8:57am, 17 Oct 2022
94,066 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have never understood the "best room" "best crockery" My mum had so many clothes and shoes and bags. They all were matching sets: shoes, trousers or skirt, blouse or jumper, handbag and some coats only go with certain clothes, bags etc...
And you rotate through them, so you are not allowed to wear something two days in a row. And new stuff: only gets worn once or twice in its first year or two...
So I inherited a seriously nice (and expensive) turquoise leather jacket that my mum had worn twice. I am wearing it at every opportunity and gave done since she died September 2018. The colour is fading and it has that nice worn patina now.
I very much wear new things all the time!
And after Friday night, I am going to make an effort of wearing my "good" stuff more often.
I largely wear work trousers and smocks fir gardening and I tend to wear those at weekends too or when I pop to the shops/am not gardening.
It is time nice clothes get worn. I enjoyed it at the weekend. I could easily have slipped on work jeans and smock again...
Oct 2022
11:02am, 17 Oct 2022
9,662 posts
  •  
Raemond
If you’re putting out an outfit the night before put your jewellery out with it

Oh, gosh, no. Nowhere near that organised!

These days it's mostly a case of open the wardrobe and see what fits and is vaguely suitable for the day's activities (a reception, or potentially moving furniture around a meeting room, or just normal sitting at a desk).
WA
Oct 2022
11:24am, 17 Oct 2022
10,312 posts
  •  
WA
I lived in 2 houses as a child 0-10 and 10-18+. The first had a best room- the front room. We were never allowed in it, I can't actually remember it being used at all apart from when my sister was very ill with measles and needed to be isolated from everyone else (we shared a bedroom).
Oct 2022
2:02pm, 17 Oct 2022
60,349 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
We had a "best" living room in our old Cavern (as well as a back living room that the kids used and a huge kitchen/dining room that we lived in most of the time). I remember my parents going, "Oh, that'll do for us, we'll sit in here, lah di dah di dah," and Mum shooting out like a scalded cat a minute later when she discovered that there wasn't a television in the room.
Oct 2022
5:29pm, 21 Oct 2022
46,630 posts
  •  
DocM
We had best crockery that only came out on Christmas day. It did may Christmas very special though
Jan 2023
10:12am, 19 Jan 2023
5,238 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Office dress code has become so casual that people even come in wearing jeans. It always used to be smart trousers, shirt and tie as a minimum, then regressed to the same but without a tie. I own three suits and realised I haven't worn any of them for a very long time.

Today I'm wearing a blue pinstripe suit with waistcoat. This seems to make people nervous, as they assume I'm going for an interview with a rival company.
Jan 2023
10:37am, 19 Jan 2023
59,466 posts
  •  
LindsD
:)
Jan 2023
1:46pm, 19 Jan 2023
11,616 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I had a discussion with a colleague about this recently and we wondered if we could instigate some ‘White Tie Fridays’. We used to have dress down Fridays, and then once a month you could wear jeans on a Friday if you made a charity contribution. Today the few people in my group who are in are mostly wearing jeans, me included. But then it was v cold first thing and my warmest boots go better with jeans, so …

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
aka - the front room is never used. Let the sunshine in!

This is a companion thread to 'Do a New...