Satellite images on routes in training log

3 watchers
Jan 2019
9:54pm, 2 Jan 2019
8,287 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Can you bring up Satellite/Aerial images as a background with routemap from GPS overlaid in your training log?

Since the change from Google Maps to OSM, it seems to be missing an aerial option, which is a shame as sometimes it's incredibly useful.

Of course, I might be missing an option somewhere.
Jan 2019
9:59am, 3 Jan 2019
8,288 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm assuming from the stony silence, the answer is that you can't any more...
Jan 2019
10:17am, 3 Jan 2019
2,816 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
not that I can see.

You can still get the satellite image on Plot A Route, where you have the option to switch from OSM to Google maps, but that option doesn't seem to be on the other map screens, eg TrainingLog, Conquersize ( I don't play Fetchpoint, so not sure about that )
Jan 2019
10:53am, 3 Jan 2019
3,867 posts
  •  
Nelly
I can't see a direct option either.

As a follow on from Gus's comment, when you edit a previously saved route it (currently still?) defaults to open in Google Maps, complete with the Satellite view option. Thus, as a work around fozzy, you could save a version of the route directly from your training log and then "edit" the route, to give you the option to view the Satellite view?
Jan 2019
11:06am, 3 Jan 2019
2,817 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
fozzy, how do you load your runs into Fetch ?

If you have a Garmin and do the auto load, then if you go to Garmin Connect they have the Satellite option on their map view of the route.............but obviously that's not using Fetch so we don't really recommend that ;-)
Jan 2019
12:12pm, 3 Jan 2019
8,292 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, that's how I've been doing it - basically logging into garmin connect. But if I want to go back to a previous one e.g. I wanted to see a route I'd taken for a race - to get the correct line over the top of a hill (fell racing!) back in Feb 2014 - easy to find on Fetch. A pain on Garmin connect.
Jan 2019
12:13pm, 3 Jan 2019
8,293 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I guess I could save routes I wanted. Not the most helpful way though - especially since the import gives me the route already plotted on a map!
Jan 2019
12:24pm, 3 Jan 2019
2,818 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Agree with you regards finding old stuff on GC - makes you appreciate how user friendly Fetch actually is :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
Can you bring up Satellite/Aerial images as a background with routemap from GPS overlaid in your tra...