Salomon Sense Mantra

2 watchers
Jul 2013
7:58pm, 30 Jul 2013
525 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Had a lovely run out on the Salomon City Trail thing in Barnes this weekend, and tried the Sense Mantra - just a lovely shoe. Anyone have solid experience of how well they last? I'm assuming less miles than a regular shoe...
Jul 2013
9:42am, 31 Jul 2013
2,081 posts
  •  
rosehip
They do look nice :)

Why do you assume they'd not last as well ?
Jul 2013
9:49am, 31 Jul 2013
2,082 posts
  •  
rosehip
This review looks promising

irunfar.com
Jul 2013
10:43am, 31 Jul 2013
526 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
They are very light weight, and I'm not :) I can break normal shoes in around 400 miles so not sure these would do more than 300-350
Jul 2013
12:10pm, 31 Jul 2013
2,384 posts
  •  
emdee
I've done 123 miles in mine plus lots and lots of just casual use. They've been in the washing machine at least once too. Still virtually as good as new. Lightweight but very well made.
Jul 2013
5:31pm, 31 Jul 2013
527 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Thanks emdee, now to find them on sale somewhere....
Jul 2013
7:21pm, 31 Jul 2013
211 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
They're not light - I have a pair in size UK 11 and they're 323g, for comparison Salomon Speedcross3 are 348g, my Nike road race shoes are 230g.

THey are indeed very comfortable, but I don't know if I'll ever wear mine again.

I'm struggling at the moment with Plantar Fasciitis, and it all started after a 14 mile trail race wearing the Sense Mantra. They are a 6mm drop and I normally wear about 9-11mm. I had worn them a few times before, maybe upto 7 miles and all had been fine. AMybe the PF is not related to the Mantra, but it's now in my mind that it is, and if I ever get back running again I may give up on the whole running "lower" thing and stick with the style of shoes that have kept me relatively injury free for many years.

Anyway, if you are UK size 11, and fancy a pair of the black/yellow/lime ones, with 69 miles on them, then let me know and I'll do you a great deal :-) otherwise they'll probably go on eBay
Jul 2013
7:27pm, 31 Jul 2013
2,385 posts
  •  
emdee
I suppose compared to many road shoes they're not light, no. Compared to many trail shoes (and I don't mean really minimal ones), they're reasonably light. I've run up to a marathon in them but use something with a little more cushioning for longer off road stuff.
Jul 2013
8:08pm, 31 Jul 2013
528 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Sorry to hear about the pf Gus, could be it was spurred on by the lower drop.. I know when I had it a few years back it was caused by tight calves and pushing the mileage. I'm sure you know all the tricks to treat it - I was recommended to run on a rebounder/trampette and concentrate on getting up on my toes to strengthen the calves and increase ankle flexibility. I found taping worked a treat too - allows the foot to relax. Anyhoo....
Ive been doing an amount in 8mm drops for a few months. I would certainly look to transition into them, rather than jump in with both feet (pun intended). Did have an achilles issue after trying them for a marathon last month - but it's been manageable.
Like emdee the Mantras are light for me - I love a bit of Brooks Cascadia fan, and anything is light after those tanks :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Had a lovely run out on the Salomon City Trail thing in Barnes this weekend, and tried the Sense Man...