Running with Asthma

4 watchers
Nov 2015
8:09am, 28 Nov 2015
5,212 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
I haven't posted in the forums for a while. My running has been fine, when the mojo is with me, this post is on behalf of a friend. (yeah, yeah, not the is this weird/kinky, just asking for a friend kind of a friend, but a real one - yes, I have them)

My friend has exercise induced asthma. She has made significant progress in dealing with it through training for kayak marathon - she has been able to build up her resistance and is achieving a level of performance she could only have dreamed about a year ago.

Now she wants to try running again and has been investigating use of a mask to warm the air before it hits her lungs. Does anyone have experience of this or know anyone using masks to run in?
Nov 2015
8:30am, 28 Nov 2015
1,558 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I don't know about the mask i'm afraid but my exercise induced asthma has disappeared since I was prescribed a purple inhaler which apparently works like the brown inhaler and a slow release blue inhaler. It is called Seretide.
Nov 2015
10:37am, 28 Nov 2015
11,016 posts
  •  
Dvorak
No, the only person I know with it that bad is Sophster, who would cover up with a buff, or buffs, if necessary, which made her look like run ninja.
Nov 2015
10:40am, 28 Nov 2015
11,017 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Voilà!

[IMAGE]
Nov 2015
10:45am, 28 Nov 2015
11,335 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I would trying a buff. I have used one to cover face when it's been very cold and windy and find it not that easy to breathe through.
Nov 2015
11:06am, 28 Nov 2015
16,707 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Nice to see you JJ :-) no advice, sorry - I use a blue inhaler before running, but I think I'm pretty lucky that it's a mild case. It *is* weird and kinky though.
Nov 2015
11:22am, 28 Nov 2015
3,157 posts
  •  
Jono.
hi JJ - wot Elsie says and is your friend looked after by her GP with once a year appointments? even at my age I have found theses a great ,help.

with regard to the mask - one of Mrs J's friends is a royal marine, he used a mask during his basic training to aid his runing.
Nov 2015
2:12pm, 28 Nov 2015
11,004 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
interesting...I am a chronic asthmatic, have been all my life. I have learned to 'manage' my asthma but never considered buying a mask to warm the air as I am a big fan of not reducing the volume of air I breath. Does you friend only intend to use the device when it's cold..?

If / when I run when it's cold I tend to have a longer than usual warm-up and try to induce a asthmatic response. At that stage I will take my inhaler and then I'm usually good for a few hours (even in the most coldest of weather).

You friend could try running slower when it's cold or breathing through the nose. This would mean that the air would take a little longer to get into the lungs and would be just a little warmer.
Nov 2015
2:18pm, 28 Nov 2015
5,213 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
Thank you all. It's nice to see you all and be welcomed.

I haven't seen Sophster for years and years!

I'll share all this with her and maybe she'll become a Fetchie if she runs more.

I'm paddling more than running at the moment, but expect to be back on the running trail for some adventures in the new year.
Nov 2015
6:02pm, 28 Nov 2015
11,875 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Nice to see you back. Surely to warm air you'd need a source of heat, not just a porous barrier such as a buff.

About This Thread

Maintained by JJ Flash
I haven't posted in the forums for a while. My running has been fine, when the mojo is with me, thi...