Running with a Bag - shoulder pain

2 watchers
Aug 2018
8:43pm, 27 Aug 2018
First-time poster!!
  •  
Thorsteng
Afternoon all, (am not actually injured) BUT... I've recently started to run to work in the morning - with a running bag.
But after I get to work and during the end of the run (the run's exactly 5 miles) I start to get a really stiff and painful right neck and shoulder.. Does anyone have this same sort of problem?
Aug 2018
8:58pm, 27 Aug 2018
14,073 posts
  •  
MissChappo
You need a rucksack. I never run to work but used to walk/commute with various one-sided heavy bags and always had back trouble. Now I have a rucksack with the weight evenly balanced it doesn't happen any more.
Aug 2018
9:22pm, 27 Aug 2018
41,088 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I used to get this on my run commute even with my race vest and not carrying much.

It's naturally where I hold my tension anyway and I found that the way to solve it was to consciously focus on running with my right shoulder relaxed and loose.
Aug 2018
6:33pm, 29 Aug 2018
2 posts
  •  
Thorsteng
Hi guys thanks for that... I don't understand..need a rucksack isn't it the same as a backpack?
rhb
Oct 2018
3:16pm, 29 Oct 2018
1,115 posts
  •  
rhb
Bit late to this. What backpack? I use OMM run packs (8l and 20l) and they're causing no issues.
Oct 2018
3:23pm, 29 Oct 2018
1,024 posts
  •  
old mum
You want a proper running backpack. Asics, Solomon, OMM, Montane - there's loads of them out there. Like shoes, I would recommend that you go and try a few out for fit before committing to buying. Definitely worth the investment if you're planning on keeping up your commute on foot as they provide specific cushioning and support for your run and they're generally much lighter than a 'normal' backpack.
Oct 2018
3:57pm, 29 Oct 2018
29,467 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Thorsteng, welcome to Fetch threads!

As others asked what brand of running bag are you using? Those specifically designed for running tend to do up nice and snugly. In my experience, if the bag moves around at all, then you "hunch" your shoulders trying to control it and that could cause tension.

I do the straps up pretty tight so that there is no movement. Then it just becomes part of you. Good in winter when it's cold because it keeps you toasty warm too! It needs to be so comfortable that you forget it's there!

I had a Deuter Speedlite 20, which was great. I've now got an OMM Classic 25. No movement whatsoever. Good luck. :-) G
Oct 2018
4:35pm, 29 Oct 2018
276 posts
  •  
iRicey
I have a Deuter Speedlite 10 which does me fine - totally forget it's there.
Oct 2018
5:32pm, 31 Oct 2018
29,479 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I guess he/she didn't want any more of our sage advice? Hope you are sorted on your running bag front anyway Thor (must be a he with a name like Thor?) :-) G
rhb
Oct 2018
6:07pm, 31 Oct 2018
1,121 posts
  •  
rhb
^ might have got the answers elsewhere in the 8 weeks it went unanswered.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Afternoon all, (am not actually injured) BUT... I've recently started to run to work in the mor...