Running while taking Prednisolone & Alendronic Acid Tablets

1 watcher
Jun 2016
1:15pm, 15 Jun 2016
277 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Hi everyone.

I`m a 61 yr old who's been running off & on for over thirty years without having any major health problems in that time, but just after last Christmas developed a chest infection which took weeks to clear up and also resulted in the virus attacking the muscles in my neck,shoulders,hips and lower back,which I`m now been treated for a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica which I`m been told is totally curable.

My medication for my PMR is in the form of a steroid called Prednisolone and I`m also taking Alendronic Acid Tablets to counter act the steroids effect towards bone problems. I also have to take a Calcium and Vitamin D tablet twice a day.

Having just returned to running after four months of doing nothing, which looks like being a long road back to fitness I am feeling a lot better but the concerns I have are what effects with taking all this medication will have on my body and is it actually safe to do a weight bearing exercise like running as one of the side effects of my medication is brittle bones.

I would be very grateful for any advice or replies from anyone on the same medication on how you manage you running /medication routine
Jun 2016
2:10pm, 15 Jun 2016
33,953 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Polymyalgia rheumatica is not so much "curable" as selflimiting - it lasts for a period of time (typically 1-2 years) and can be controlled with steroids until it settles.

If you feel well enough to run, it's fine to do so. Weight bearing exercise is likely to do your bones more good than harm.
Jun 2016
2:45pm, 15 Jun 2016
21,139 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Velociraptor beat me to it :-)
Jun 2016
4:58pm, 15 Jun 2016
278 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Velocirapto & Hells Bells thanks for you replies 👍
Jun 2016
8:58pm, 15 Jun 2016
486 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I have a friend who has post menopausal osteoporosis and has been taking Alendronic Acid in conjunction with Calcium and Vitamin D for a few years, and continues to run (including marathons) with no adverse effects.
V'rap is right about weight bearing exercise being likely to do your bones more good than harm, since that exercise will stimulate the activity of osteoblasts which are important in the formation of bone.
Jun 2016
9:01pm, 15 Jun 2016
1,087 posts
  •  
lady alton
Ditto I ran on Alendronic Acid for several years, only don't now because I'm on a medication break. No issues just needed to have long run and medication day different days or get up earlier :)
Jun 2016
9:02pm, 15 Jun 2016
33,957 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
(I'd have written a great deal more detail had I not been struggling with a wonky work computer earlier.)

Doing some exercise may also help to offset the weight gain and muscle wasting that typically happen on prednisolone. As far as I know, running and other exercise does not delay recovery from polymyalgia rheumatica. I've never had to treat a sufferer who was also an athlete, but I encourage people to continue all their normal activities, including work, while on treatment.
Jun 2016
5:27pm, 16 Jun 2016
279 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Flatlander, lady alton many thanks for your replies.

Velociraptor I managed to continue working during my pre- diagnosis of PMR and since I've been on medication but I have noticed some weight gain and muscle wastage . I've only been back running for a fortnight but can say it is defiantly helping . The only other concern I have is am I better running on trails and local woodland rather than pound the pavements due to the risk of stress fractures .

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi everyone.

I`m a 61 yr old who's been running off & on for over thirty years without having an...