Running website disrupts ye techno fever (5, 8)

26 watchers
Jul 2022
4:58pm, 15 Jul 2022
64,392 posts
  •  
GlennR
The one that I think of as relatively easy is the Telegraph, providing you can imagine you are eighty five years old and living in a care home for retired gentlefolk.
um
Jul 2022
5:08pm, 15 Jul 2022
6,267 posts
  •  
um
HappyG,
I don't know about the Big Issue one, but there's a rating for The Times cryptic at xwdsnitch.herokuapp.com
Based on solve time.

But it also depends on the setter. Some are easy for me to align with, others not so.
Jul 2022
5:09pm, 15 Jul 2022
17,002 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I'd rank them by how quickly I can do them, and whether I need to consult a dictionary or the internet to get the final clues (and in the case of Azed, probably also whether I am any the wiser when I see the answers)

Daily Telegraph is definitely the easiest of the newspaper cryptic crosswords, although the Enigmatic variations in the Sunday paper is a hard one. Everyman in the Observer is traditionally an easy one too. Guardian varies through the week and on who is setting it.

Azed in the Observer and Mephisto in the Sunday Times are generally reckoned to be the most difficult. The Listener crossword is also pretty tough.
Jul 2022
5:11pm, 15 Jul 2022
8,898 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Personally, I'm in favour of all CQ zone names doubling up as crossword clues:

fetcheveryone.com/game-conq-zone.php?id=126537
Jul 2022
5:13pm, 15 Jul 2022
55,737 posts
  •  
LindsD
:)
Jul 2022
5:25pm, 15 Jul 2022
17,003 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Swiss cheese loses two points for Yorkshire town.
Jul 2022
5:58pm, 15 Jul 2022
55,738 posts
  •  
LindsD
Nice

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Which it's the Fetchland crossword wire.