Running Watches

3 watchers
Mar 2012
2:45pm, 13 Mar 2012
12,551 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Sioux, do you mean the 110, it just recharges from the USB.
Mar 2012
3:14pm, 13 Mar 2012
566 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
SioUx, I think the Sportsband is basically a pace counter, and whilst the wristy bit is rechargeable, the pace counter isn't. Depends what your friend wants really, a GPS watch would be more techy and expensive (but better, I would say), but if she does just want something fairly cheap and basic, then the Sportsband might well do the job.

I think if she ended up being serious about running, she want to upgrade from the Sportsband.

(and it's harder to play Fetchpoint without a GPS :-))
Mar 2012
3:22pm, 13 Mar 2012
18,945 posts
  •  
Frobester
I started my running career with a sportband, but, er, graduated to a Garmin. The massive increase in data downloaded from the Garmin (most of it useful, too) helps, and also means I'm not fixed to the shoe issue(with a sportband you either need a Nike shoe into which you fit a little dongle that comes with the sportband, or you need to attach the dongle to another shoe of your choice).

Having said all that, the sportband was fine when I just wanted something to measure my distance and speed roughly, and log my runs. It doesn't give you live pace, but it might be you don't need that just yet.

Horses for courses really.
Mar 2012
3:43pm, 13 Mar 2012
1,275 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
i have been using a £20 watch from argos or the last few years which gives splits no probs - and working out routes beforehand and plotting the mile points i could tell my pace - but just (lat week) splashed out on a Garmin 110 and this is so much easier.
Mar 2012
3:51pm, 13 Mar 2012
2,084 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
These polls should tell you all that you need to know!

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=2880

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=2881
Mar 2012
4:44pm, 13 Mar 2012
10,676 posts
  •  
sioUx
I talked to her about the , work out a route + basic watch option but she wants more ease than that.

She seems to like the look of the 110 and knowing my mate will hunt down the best deal.

LOL fozzy- yup, polls sum it up well.

She is really enjoying her running and I think this is a little 'well done' treat to herself as in the last 18months she has lost 1/2 her body weight!
It's only now after months of getting going on a treadmill that she is getting the confidence to go outside, she just can't pace herslf at all.

(I don't really understand the sportsband thing- do you need a foot bit and the right trainers too?)
Mar 2012
4:45pm, 13 Mar 2012
1,284 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
got my FR 110 for £101 (plus extra for the HR strap)

think it was amazon.
Mar 2012
4:46pm, 13 Mar 2012
1,285 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
amazon.co.uk
Mar 2012
4:46pm, 13 Mar 2012
10,678 posts
  •  
sioUx
Thanks Chris and she doesn't want a HRM at mo either

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sushi.
I have a friend who is after an entry level watch.
She doesn't want a HRM.
She just wants somethi...